Jotul f100 vs F400 and a few other decisions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Have you seen one in person. Their description says "Riddling grate system/shaker grate." I've heard of a couple grated ash systems that don't work as well as others. I would want to see their setup before I took the plunge.
Instead of cemented seams, they are gasketed. Seems like it would be an easier re-build, when the time came..

Yep, spend a little extra now to get what you think is going to work the best, and what looks best, and be happy for a long, long time. :)

My tiny Morso has the riddling grate. It's two round grates and one rotates about 90 degrees clockwise and counterclockwise. There's a rod sticking out the front and the stove came with a handle for it. I really like the system since I can just pull all the ash to the front of the stove in a pile, close the door, and shake it down. I've read in a few places that the squirrel stoves with shaker grates are designed to burn coal and/or coal briquettes in Europe and the lower intake opens. So far I haven't found anything definitive and my lower intake does not open, but could be made to open, but I also have no need or desire to burn coal.

The cooker has a more standard cast iron grate and raking the ash makes it fall through. A bit messier, but better than scooping it outside of the stove. As long as the coals are still hot I don't have any issues with ash getting out. Both stoves have a gasket for the ash pan area. The cooker has one door for both openings and the Morso has two doors.

The cooker has a more standard cast iron grate and raking the ash makes it fall through.
That is what's in both my Dutchwest and Keystone. I like that I can let the ash pile up on the grate if I wish, and stir it down into the pan only if I want to. The Keystone also feeds air to the coals via the grate, through a 1/4" hole in the ash pan housing. If I let the ash build up on the grate, less air gets through, or I can stir the ash down in selected spots if I want more air to fire up the new load in a particular spot. It's not a lot of air, though, compared to what's supplied by the primary air control. Whew, I got a little off track there, didn't I? ;lol

I haven't seen the 7110 burning, just on display. But the ash grate system looked robust, which is all I can really say without using it.

The build quality of the whole stove was striking, though. For a somewhat inexpensive stove, the fit and finish was outstanding.