Jotul 602 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fieldoffgrid

Oct 31, 2020
Canada
So this will be my first post and I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right place. Anyways. I bought a new 602 and once I brought it home and hooked it up I noticed my cookplate has some wobble to it maybe 1/16th up and down and I can shine a light through the gap. This will most likely be a problem? Now could I just use some stove cement to fill the gab and call it good or is there something else I should be doing. Going back to the dealer is not an option at the moment. I’m too far away and to take the stove out of commission at this time of year. Only heat source

Welcome! I would at least call your dealer and ask, they may be able to mail you a fix. If you have acess to the common stove fiberglass gasket products found at most hardware stores, you could try the smallest available size, or the flat stuff.

So this will be my first post and I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right place. Anyways. I bought a new 602 and once I brought it home and hooked it up I noticed my cookplate has some wobble to it maybe 1/16th up and down and I can shine a light through the gap. This will most likely be a problem? Now could I just use some stove cement to fill the gab and call it good or is there something else I should be doing. Going back to the dealer is not an option at the moment. I’m to far away and to take the stove out of commission at this time of year. Only heat source

Thats standard for that stove. The cook plate is easily removed for cleaning and cleaning that area directly underneath it.

I had one, it didn’t affect performance and never leaked. It was also exactly as you described.

Welcome! I would at least call your dealer and ask, they may be able to mail you a fix. If you have acess to the common stove fiberglass gasket products found at most hardware stores, you could try the smallest available size, or the flat stuff.
I plan on it Monday but even than who knows how long they will take to get me a fix. Took me quite some time to even Receive This stove

Thats standard for that stove. The cook plate is easily removed for cleaning and cleaning that area directly underneath it.

I had one, it didn’t affect performance and never leaked. It was also exactly as you described.
Are you sure we’re talking about the same wobble? I do realize there a spacing all around the cookplate. The one I’m referring to is almost like a warp in the top. It seats nicely except for the sides where they don’t even touch the lip. Not by much but enough to concern me. If yours is like that as well then maybe I’ll just leave it be and go on using it

Are you sure we’re talking about the same wobble? I do realize there a spacing all around the cookplate. The one I’m referring to is almost like a warp in the top. It seats nicely except for the sides where they don’t even touch the lip. Not by much but enough to concern me. If yours is like that as well then maybe I’ll just leave it be and go on using it
What do you think is warped, the stovetop or the cookplate? Place a straightedge like a level on the top to check trueness. If you put the cookplate on a flat surface does it wobble there?

What do you think is warped, the stovetop or the cookplate? Place a straightedge like a level on the top to check trueness. If you put the cookplate on a flat surface does it wobble there?
The cookplate itself is okay I think. I can rotate it and it will still only have a gap from left to right. So I’m thinking it’s the stovetop itself. I did use a square to see if there was any gap on the top itself and that was fine as well. I’m thinking it’s where the cookplate itself seats that may not be 100%. Maybe I can upload a video to show what I mean. But this is probably something I can fix with a bit of stove cement? But it would no longer be removable and probably void my warranty. I could go back to the dealer but at the rate it took to get this shipped the stove would likely be out of commission for a couple months which isn’t an option an I’m Also off grid and the dealer location is quite far from me

I think a picture here would really help. If it looks different than mine did I’ll be able to help you quick.

I wouldn’t do stove cement. If it’s really broke they should replace it. Stove cement will only be a temporary fix

Mine has a slight wobble as well but I wouldnt say there's much of a gap and it doesnt seem to effect the performance or leak smoke. Is the area where the plate sits smooth, any raised edge?

Mine has a slight wobble as well but I wouldnt say there's much of a gap and it doesnt seem to effect the performance or leak smoke. Is the area where the plate sits smooth, any raised edge?
No raised edges that I can feel. I’ll take a picture when I get back home. I can shine a flashlight from the inside and see the gap from the cookplate. I’m wondering if during the break in of the stove it got to cold during cool down and warped it a bit

Unless the breakin was unusually hot, that should not warp anything. A large gap will affect the burn. How badly or not will depend on the size of the gap. If it is very slim then it may act as a secondary combustion air source. Hard to say.

Check the cookplate and stove top for warpage with a straight-edge.

Any chance buying another cook plate and grinding, filing, massaging it as a custom fit would be a option? Kind of tough to believe the stove top itself has warped? Dunno. Could be I suppose.
Any chance there is just a bit of manufacturing/casting imperfection that was never cleaned up properly?

Any chance there is just a bit of manufacturing/casting imperfection that was never cleaned up properly?
Good point. If the stove top is flat, which it should be, then a close inspection of the lid and the lid socket on the stove may show a high point or small obstruction.

Unless the breakin was unusually hot, that should not warp anything. A large gap will affect the burn. How badly or not will depend on the size of the gap. If it is very slim then it may act as a secondary combustion air source. Hard to say.

I brought it up to 200 during break In and only did the one burn since I’ve noticed it. My order took to long to arrive so I opted out with the floor model. That would be a mistake on my end. But idk. I’ve went over with a straigh edge and that as well looks fine. I may just use some furnace cement and keep doing that as I really don’t wanna deal with the time it takes for shipping a replacement. I’m about 20 minutes away from home and I will post a video

Good point. If the stove top is flat, which it should be, then a close inspection of the lid and the lid socket on the stove may show a high point or small obstruction.
The lid is fine but the socket it sits in seems like it could have a warp cause it’s o le of. The right and left side that has the gab or it was just made with a high point and not properly inspected during assembly

I brought it up to 200 during break In and only did the one burn since I’ve noticed it. My order took to long to arrive so I opted out with the floor model. That would be a mistake on my end. But idk. I’ve went over with a straigh edge and that as well looks fine. I may just use some furnace cement and keep doing that as I really don’t wanna deal with the time it takes for shipping a replacement. I’m about 20 minutes away from home and I will post a video
I did do the first break in outside and it was pretty cold out so maybe during cool down it was to much of a shock?

I did do the first break in outside and it was pretty cold out so maybe during cool down it was to much of a shock?

Attachments

• IMG_0930.MOV
    12.9 MB

Attachments

• Jotul 602 problem
    AAB3DC8F-CCBA-480C-BE26-6B561E2C7929.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 126
That seems a lit more wobble and gap than mine. I think I'd try small diameter gasket or furnace cement until you find out what your dealer can do.

That seems a lit more wobble and gap than mine. I think I'd try small diameter gasket or furnace cement until you find out what your dealer can do.
This is my first cast iron stove so I’m not really sure of how they age but would this be something that would get worse if it was a warp?

Die casting does not yield flat surfaces. These surfaces require secondary operations to achieve a descent flatness spec. Does the surface the plate sits on look smooth, like it had been machined with an end mill?

This is my first cast iron stove so I’m not really sure of how they age but would this be something that would get worse if it was a warp?
It's possible if it was overfired. You said your off grid and quite a distance to your dealer but are you closer to a hardware store? I think I'd try a small gasket temporarily til dealer gets involved.

Die casting does not yield flat surfaces. These surfaces require secondary operations to achieve a descent flatness spec. Does the surface the plate sits on look smooth, like it had been machined with an end mill?
It does look smooth to my eyes. It seems like it’s higher right in the center on the front and the back of the lip causing the gap in the sides. I rotated the plate with a bit of pressure and that’s where it roughed it up and left a score mark. I’ve had nothing but problems with the dealer so I’d rather not have to deal with them if I can just maybe sand down a thousandth at a time or use some cement but figured it be best to check here. i don’t mind using furnace cement or fixing that up every so often as long as this problem isn’t gonna become worse

It's possible if it was overfired. You said your off grid and quite a distance to your dealer but are you closer to a hardware store? I think I'd try a small gasket temporarily til dealer gets involved.
It definitely wasn’t overfired as I only did the first step of the the break in and brought it up to 100°C 212 °f. And haven’t touched it since. Yes there’s a small hardware store in atown nearby I could pick up some gasket and use that temporarily

I also just used a light to check other parts of the stove and where the stove pipe outlet goes On the back plate and the top also has light shine through it so idk this pretty frustrating all together. Especially since I haven’t even had an actual burn other than The break in