Jotul 3TDC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrannyLinda

Dec 1, 2023
Washington
We have a Jotul 3TDC that came with our house. It's in excellent shape for its age, although the door gasket and probably the catalyst need to be replaced. Is it worthwhile to replace the catalyst or should we just look at replacing the stove?
20231130_125600.jpg

If you like it and heat well enough and all it needs is a door gasket and cat I would spend that amount of money on it. I like the color. They don’t make it anymore

Reactions: GrannyLinda
Thanks. That's what I'm inclined to do. I've heard that Jotul stoves are good quality.
Looking closer are you sure you have the catalyst version? I don’t see the damper control rod on the top left.

They made/make some good ones. But nothing lasts forever without maintenance. Cast iron stoves, while the metal is thicker than a steel stove, use stove cement to seal the pieces together. At some point this cement will crack/fall apart and create air leaks which leads to over firing and damage. If you still have good control of the fire you should be ok.