Jotul 118G

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ericjotul

Feb 1, 2022
Sawyer, MI
So I picked up a used Jotul 118G that I believe was made between 1972-1984. I have it all ready to install but have no idea the specs to install in my house. I need to know how many inches it needs to be from combustibles. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

So I picked up a used Jotul 118G that I believe was made between 1972-1984. I have it all ready to install but have no idea the specs to install in my house. I need to know how many inches it needs to be from combustibles. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.
NFPA 211 - 36" with a no vented wall shield, if you use a shield which needs to be open on all sides and mounted on 1" spacers you can reduce the clearance by 2/3 or down to 12" keep in mind that if using single wall pipe that will need 18" or also have a shield, 6" for double wall black smoke pipe.
The big thing is to remember the hearth pad if your installing on a combustible floor (wood, tile w/ wood sub floor ect) if your installing on a cement like in a basement or house on slab then you dont need to worry about floor protection. The prebuilt hearth pads at home improvement stores usually do not have enough protection for these older free-standing stoves, there designed for newer epa certified stoves that only require ember protection, or pellet stoves.

The international manual for the stove lists the clearance to combustibles at 800 mm or 31.5". With an NFPA wall shield that can be reduced to 12" as Kenny noted. It's recommended to add an inch of clean sand (play sand) on the bottom of the stove before starting. Other than that the manual does not give much information on the hearth pad other than size and ember protection.

Requirements for the floor plate: If the stove will be installed on a combustible floor, a robust, solid, non-combustible layer should cover the floor beneath the stove. This layer should cover an area of at least 300 mm in front of the stove door, and at least 150 mm either side of the opening. (See Buildings Regulations in your country.) We recommend that you contact the local J tul dealer prior to installation.

31.png

Last edited:
Thank you both for this information It really helped me get this beautiful old stove hooked up and working. The one thing I’ve noticed after burning for a few days is after the stove completely cooled down the top warped up a little in the middle. I didn’t notice this until I started another fire. I didn’t have any smoke escape just could see the internal flames. Now after the stove got hot the top laid perfectly flat again on its seal and I couldn’t see inside anymore. Is this something I need to be concerned about? I love this old stove but wonder if I shouldn’t use it? I don’t know if I could take the top to a welder and have it strengthened up with some heavy gauge steel? Let me know your thoughts even if you recommend putting this stove into retirement. Thanks in advanc.