Jotul 118 Refurbish/ Rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

M@dMinute

Sep 17, 2014
Southwest OH
So I am building a one room 250sqft cabin and came across a Jotul 118 and bought it. It is really rusty with some pitting on the top. I plan on getting it up to usable condition again. Can someone walk me through the best ways to do this?

My plan:
Take the stove apart as much as possible.
I figured wire wheel down the rust as much as possible.
Normally at this point I would use the Rustoleum rust reformer on cast iron, but I am not sure it will hold up to the temps? Any alternative rust converters to make sure I get rid of the cancer?
Paint it black, any recommended stove paints?
Reassemble.
Replace gaskets, any recommended brands?
Cement any places that need it, again any type recommended over the others?

I've had no luck with rust converter stuff, perhaps others have? The paint ends up prematurely burning off when you fire the stove. Consider sandblasting if elbow grease doesn't get it done.

Rutland products have served me well for over 30 years, might want to start there?

I've had no luck with rust converter stuff, perhaps others have? The paint ends up prematurely burning off when you fire the stove. Consider sandblasting if elbow grease doesn't get it done.

That was my concern, and I love that stuff. Depending on how well it comes apart I might try to soak the pieces in vinegar...

Coca Cola is touted to be a good rust remover with a wire brush. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a go for a small area as a test. Maybe the back of the stove? Wash well afterward and use a heat gun to dry it quickly. Before painting give the stove a rub down with alcohol. Stove Brite paints are the most common paint used for wood stove.

What condition are the side burn plates and baffle in this stove?

Coca Cola is touted to be a good rust remover with a wire brush. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a go for a small area as a test. Maybe the back of the stove? Wash well afterward and use a heat gun to dry it quickly. Before painting give the stove a rub down with alcohol. Stove Brite paints are the most common paint used for wood stove.

What condition are the side burn plates and baffle in this stove?

Side burn plates are present. They look a warped at the corners curling in/out with small cracks. Is there a burn plate for the back in this stove?
I have the baffle as well, i did not notice any issues with it.

The only part I think I am missing is the smoke flap.

I've done a 602 and am currently doing a #4. What I offer is, don't over-invest your time, money or energy. IMO, you're real investment is your chiminy install-- these old units are out there in readily available at low prices compared to new stoves and can be swapped out easily.

Have you run it to see if anything needs to be taken apart? I wire wheeled with a drill for tight spots and grinder for larger accessible areas using cup and round wire bits.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Side burn plates are present. They look a warped at the corners curling in/out with small cracks. Is there a burn plate for the back in this stove?
I have the baffle as well, i did not notice any issues with it.

The only part I think I am missing is the smoke flap.
Watch the side burn plates, once they start to crack and curl they can cause damage elsewhere by not protecting the sides and possibly lifting the baffle, allowing leakage. This happened to me with our 602. My fault for trying to get every last bit of life out of the side plates. In the end I had to replace all. Fortunately I found a used 602 with good innards, but with a cracked back that went for free.