Isle Royale Rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kobeman

Feb 16, 2013
Iowa
Hello, Been awhile since I’ve had anything worth posting, thought I’d share about knocking my isle apart and re sealing. Its 6 yrs old, this stove has always ran hot, when I first got it I was suspicious and got the local dealer out as I thought it ran too much air. He said it was normal. I added a pipe damper and lived with it. This fall during cleaning and inspection I noticed plenty of gaps in secondary air chambers cement joints and decided to re-seal her. Im certain this one was built on a Friday or just lack of care but discovered that alot of the cement beads weren’t in correct spot to even seal, also the primary air slide handle was tweaked in a way that when closing it it would contact the side of the “v” cut out causing whole slide to rock up in its side. I got it straightened out so it works right, re-gasketed and cemented everything proper, Im very happy with the results, a completly different stove, very controllable now and way longer burns. Isle Royale RebuildIsle Royale RebuildIsle Royale Rebuild

Reactions: Rhodie and T-roy_
I'll bet that did make a significant difference in performance. Interesting story. Enjoy!