Is this stove repairable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm replacing my old cheap liner that failed on me after 10 years. While doing this I pulled out my Hybrid Fireplace Extraordinaire Flush insert to clean and inspect. Everything looked good except for one area of concern. The weld seam near the flue opening looked "flaky". I couldn't see any cracks or holes looking at it in normal light. When I turned the lights off and put the flashlight under it, I saw light coming through the hairline crack that was about 3 inches in length. The rest of the opening is good.
I assume this is the hottest spot in the stove, right after the combustor. The seam between the thick collar and the outer box failed, possibly due to overfiring or else.
The Stove is about 10 years old. Used to heat 24/7 every winter in CT.
Is it repairable or do I need to look at a new stove? thank you.
Pictures to follow.

[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?

I'm replacing my old cheap liner that failed on me after 10 years. While doing this I pulled out my Hybrid Fireplace Extraordinary Flush insert to clean and inspect. Everything looked good except for one area of concern. The weld seam near the flue opening looked "flaky". I couldn't see any cracks or holes looking at it in normal light. When I turned the lights off and put the flashlight under it, I saw light coming through the hairline crack that was about 3 inches in length. The rest of the opening is good.
I assume this is the hottest spot in the stove, right after the combustor. The seam between the thick collar and the outer box failed, possibly due to overfiring or else.
Is this repairable or do I need to look at a new stove? thank you.
Pictures to follow.
Do you have pictures?

Looks like more damage in daylight.

[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?

That's a bumer. I think the warranty is about 7 yrs. If this is the only issue, I'd get a good welder to weld a 2" wide donut over that area.

Ok, here is more info. Apparently it’s not that bad.
I took the stove apart and found that the failed seam was between the firebox flue collar and the outer jacket. The firebox itself is solid and has no damage, wraps or cracks..
So this crack has no contact with fire, smoke and it’s not the part of the firebox. The jacket serves the purpose of containing the hot air that is pushed by blowers.
The red arrow in a scheme is the point of failure. The picture does not show the outer jacket.

[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?

[Hearth.com] Is this stove repairable?

That's better. This interior shot made it look like it was open to the firebox.

I think that's an exterior shot based on the bypass lift rod looks like the other shots from above.
Yeah, that's exterior