Is this a lot of creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drabe95

Oct 30, 2017
CNY
I'm new to wood burning. I'm currently running a summers heat 50-shssw01. I have kept my propane furnace from running often but I checked my stove pipe and flue today and am wondering if the is a lot. I will admit that my wood is subpar. MC 25-32% mixed with pallet wood and seasoned cordwood with MC of 15-18%

Attachments

• Is this a lot of creosote
    IMG_2698.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 356
I’m not a pro, but you’re looking pretty good there. Looks like dry powdery stuff, which is good. I’m guessing this is the bottom of your setup. Can you view the top safely? Top is where you would be more apt to develop creosote.
Is there some shininess to the pipe there? It could be just the angle of the pic, but wanted to ask. Shiny creosote is problematic.

Last edited:
Not bad I’m burning unseasoned wood to moisture content of 20-30 % after a month a half of burning without any mixed seasoned wood or pallet wood I had about a sandwich bag and a half full just clean the chimney once a month you’ll be alright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention this is after 1 month of almost nonstop burning. The roof is steel with a 8 or 9/12 pitch. Not exactly easy to get up and down

Anyway u can clean it from the bottom up that’s what I do with mine as my roof is steep and high as well so I do bottom up than go up top and make sure it’s good sometimes I just use one section of handle to clean the top if it needs a little extra love

8/9 pitch ain't bad. Make yourself a chicken ladder.
Stack don't look so bad. Check it monthly just to be sure it doesn't get real bad.

Looks pretty good. A lot of use the SootEater to clean from bottom up. The cap is almost always the worst. You can use binoculars to tale a peek without getting on the roof in the snow and ice.

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks guys. I've been checking it every couple of weeks. I'm a little paranoid because my girlfriend is very paranoid so I'm trying to keep it safe to calm her nerves. I have been using the Rutland creosote remover powder. I don't know if it's helping buts it's cheap enough to try

I use some of that creasote powder to about 2-3 times not sure if it works or not but it’s worth a try and gives me a little peace of mind just keep checking the chimney and cleaning once a month or so and you’ll be fine burn hot fires when u do burn helps keep the creasote down to

I'd say given your sub-optimal wood supply, some of which is 25-32% your looking pretty good. If that's the best wood you have, I'd clean it mid winter. In a perfect world I like to have my firewood sub 15%

I use the Rutland powder and also the spray. I go back and forth and I use it heavily. I’m trying to convert years of nasty creosote from before I bought the house to something that I can sweep out. It seems that with the Rutland stuff I get a lot more creosote out when I clean it. I think it’s doing what it’s supposed too. Only thing I noticed in my case it does not seem to be helping all the way at the top of my chimney.

I also have an England Madison ( summers heat 50-shssw01 ). My first year I was burning fresh cut green wood. At the end of the season, I had about a ziplock sized bag filled with creosote. I bought a soot eater and clean the stack from the bottom up. Yours looks about how mine did when I checked it after a couple months.

What I did that probably helped was I placed a days worth of splits close enough to the stove to dry them out some. Seemed to help anyway

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I second that I try to always have a day or 2 of wood sitting near the stove you can see the ends of the wood open right open within hours of having it there so you know it’s working

It isnt feasible to clean my flue even with soot eater because my liner has a 90 at the bottom before coming outing of the existing masonry chimney to the stove. I do bring in a bout weeks work of wood at a time so there is some time to dry out