Is this a Fisher Grandpa Bear IV?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Andy Pants

Oct 9, 2024
Wisconsin
Hey everyone, we have been running this wood stove left by the previous owners in our basement since we moved in (2015). We are in the process of changing insurance and it seems like the new insurance won't allow this stove because it does not have a UL tag (also after researching there is also the issue that it is an 8 inch outlet and previous owners have it reduced down to 6 inches at the chimney, which is a no no from what I can tell.). I believe it is a Fisher Grandpa Bear IV but looking to get confirmation. What would be a fair asking price for this stove if we do have to replace it? Also the clearance from the concrete and fieldstone wall is only at 6 inches currently, is that ok?

[Hearth.com] Is this a Fisher Grandpa Bear IV?

It is a Series IV. Is there a heat shield on the back? The UL Label was affixed to rear shield.

Grandpa will have 6 bricks across the back. Grandma has 5.

6 inches is fine to a non-combustible material. Is that tar used to prevent water leaking through the cement crack??

Reactions: clancey
I went down to check it over one last time before ordering a new stove. I'm not sure but to me it looks like it was removed. No idea why someone would have done that. It has 5 bricks across the back so it must be a Grandma Bear IV. The wall that the tar is on is an interior concrete wall that forms a room where we store wood in the basement. From what I can tell it must have cracked when they cut out the doorway to grab wood out of the room.

[Hearth.com] Is this a Fisher Grandpa Bear IV?

The Label would be on the missing shield.

Good possibility the original customer ordered an unlisted stove $100 cheaper than the UL tested version with rear and bottom shields. Back then, UL Listing was not required when installed on and near non-combustible materials.

States that have adopted the International Family of Codes requires a UL Label for new installations, and many insurance companies require UL Listed appliances in even existing installations. This affects price when UL Listing is required. Many buy, and install, claiming it was existing. Hence the used stove market.

This option was also called “Brass and Glass” and this one also has “Fireplace Legs”.

Wall should have been repaired with mortar. Not flammable and would be almost unnoticeable. The trick to cement and brick repointing is putting mortar on a flat surface such as a rectangular trowel. With the edge against wall you can push the mortar into the crack without it falling.