Is this a fair price for a liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garimh

Jun 10, 2017
NJ
My inspection today showed cracks in the mortar between my tiles so my fireplace is now unusable. The chimney guy said that installing a new liner would require breaking out the old tiles due to space requirements and the quote would be roughly $4500 (my chimney is about 30 feet). Does that sound reasonable? And is it common to have to break out the old old tiles? I believe he said simply putting a new liner in without removing old tiles would not allow enough venting given the size of the firebox.

Thanks

Yes removing the tiles is common. What size liner is it?

Yes removing the tiles is common. What size liner is it?

I actually don't know (very new to this). I'm awaiting a written report which should hopefully have that info. Do you have any thoughts about the quote? Reasonable?

I actually don't know (very new to this). I'm awaiting a written report which should hopefully have that info. Do you have any thoughts about the quote? Reasonable?
I have no clue without knowing the size of the liner or the scope of the job