Is Regency F5200 the right choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The problem with the 5200 or the BK40 is that silly 8" pipe requirement and you'll need a lot of it. A very large investment for a nearly obsolete pipe. Even the large wood furnaces only need a 6" chimney.

I would definitely be looking at a wood furnace for basement heating such a large home. And then a woodstove for the main floor where you live.

Oh and you can buy manufactured wood fuel for this season. Looks like wood pellets but like 8# each.

I ordered the F5200. I should have got the F3500 because the 6" requirement and being way cheaper but it's firebox is 50% smaller even though the BTU output is nearly the same.

What you need is something like the Woodchuck 4000 that I'm removing. 180,000 btu that can be connected to the duct work.

No sense fretting over installing an 8” pipe, even though I agree with Highbeam. There is a benefit to installing 8” class A chimney or even an 8” insulated liner if it will fit your chimney.

If you ever have to change stoves to one with a 6” breech, you can always put a smaller 6” non-insulated liner inside the 8”. In fact, the 6” would now be more insulated going in the 8” because of the insulation in the 8” plus a natural insulating air gap between the liners.

I’m not sure it would be legal, but I’m sure BHoller might know. I can’t see why it wouldn’t be legal so long as there were fittings to hook it up proper. Ben could tell you if my thought is possible or plausible, I’m sure.

If you can get fittings made to hook it up I know it will work and be even more insulated than just a standard insulated liner because if the air gap. Just don’t know if there would be an issue hooking it up that. Shouldn’t be of you can buy or have fittings fabricated. My local legal shop could make them easily.

At least that way you’ll always know you have the means to accommodate any sized stove breech.

No sense fretting over installing an 8” pipe, even though I agree with Highbeam. There is a benefit to installing 8” class A chimney or even an 8” insulated liner if it will fit your chimney.

If you ever have to change stoves to one with a 6” breech, you can always put a smaller 6” non-insulated liner inside the 8”. In fact, the 6” would now be more insulated going in the 8” because of the insulation in the 8” plus a natural insulating air gap between the liners.

I’m not sure it would be legal, but I’m sure BHoller might know. I can’t see why it wouldn’t be legal so long as there were fittings to hook it up proper. Ben could tell you if my thought is possible or plausible, I’m sure.

If you can get fittings made to hook it up I know it will work and be even more insulated than just a standard insulated liner because if the air gap. Just don’t know if there would be an issue hooking it up that. Shouldn’t be of you can buy or have fittings fabricated. My local legal shop could make them easily.

At least that way you’ll always know you have the means to accommodate any sized stove breech.
Inside a liner yes inside a class a chimney no. I am sure it would be fine but it simply isn't tested or listed for the purpose

Reactions: Hoytman