Is glossy paper bad for the flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yawiney

Dec 20, 2011
West Sonoma County, CA
Just using it to start when it's wide open. A small amount every few days since I also have non-glossy.
They don't recycle it here in OR and lots comes in the mail even though I try to stop it.
Compared to burning pine that's not fully cured, (the thing i try not to do), how much does it coat the flume?
Thanks!

Most of the gloss is clay. Coated glossy paper can be 50% coating. Its potentially not good for catalytic combustors. It is unlikely that the temps in the stove will get high enough to form clinker.

Reactions: Yawiney
If you can easily tear the paper, it's the clay stuff. If not, it's resin that I would not burn.

Regarding the clay stuff:

And I quote:
The day after it was counted, we had a health physicist come to visit, so I took him to the lab to see the Playboy spectrum—it was still on the multichannel analyzer. He shall remain nameless since he has denied publicly that the following ever occurred.

And read on...

Just a joke. Nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: Yawiney and EbS-P