Is anyone awake? I have a question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozie

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2010
SW IN
I put about a 7" round in my insert about 3 hrs ago. It's not burning very well. I've put some splits in with it to try to keep it going. I can't get it up to temp (600 degrees) to turn the cat on (close the bypass damper). I hate to go to bed with the damper open. I don't want to wake up with a smoldering log. Any advice? I'm tired and I wanna go to bed. :long:

Can you put some smaller drier splits in on either side, then give it full air for about 20 mins, then shut the air back and engage the cat?
Also try spinning the round over.

Hogwildz said:
Can you put some smaller drier splits in on either side, then give it full air for about 20 mins, then shut the air back and engage the cat?
Also try spinning the round over.

I did spin the round over. I can't get it maneuvered into the center of the box, but I did put some smaller drier splits on "one" side. When I try to push it to the center it takes all the coals with it to that side. It has had full air for some time now, main by-pass damper open and shot-gun air open.

How is it taking the coals with it, can't you just roll it into the center?
Do you have a poker or other tool to help maneuver it?
That sucker must have been real wet to smolder for that long.
I would load the rest of the stove with dry stuff and force the temp up with those, then engage the cat.
Can you pull the round forward and lift it up and rest it on the front inner lip? this lets air under it to help it burn, and allows the coals under it to burn also.

Can you pry up one end of it, stick some wood under that N-S, and other wood on that all cattywampus? Maybe then pry up the other end and get something under that as well? Think of the way a housefire looks with beams laying in all directions. If you can do that, and get some dry stuff burning semi-beside-beneath it, you might get enough circulation around it to overcome the problem. Good luck. And while you wait to get the temps up, there's always hearth.com . . .

Hogwildz said:
How is it taking the coals with it, can't you just roll it into the center?
Do you have a poker or other tool to help maneuver it?
That sucker must have been real wet to smolder for that long.
I would load the rest of the stove with dry stuff and force the temp up with those, then engage the cat.
Can you pull the round forward and lift it up and rest it on the front inner lip? this lets air under it to help it burn, and allows the coals under it to burn also.

Thank you for answering my post.
The round is burning ... where the splits have kissed it and has some red coals on it. I have propped it up with the poker and stuck some of my birch limbs underneath it. Is it a bad idea to go to bed with the by-pass damper open?

Good point Snow. Is the round set in N-S or E-W
I would say orient it to set N-S for starters

snowleopard said:
Can you pry up one end of it, stick something short under that N-S, then pry up the other end and get something under that as well? If you can do that, and get some dry stuff burning semi-beside-beneath it, you might get enough circulation around it to overcome the problem.

I have done that .... I will do it again.

You may gunk up the cat, which I assume would burn off in the morn with a hot fire hopefully.
My only concern would be how much load is in there, and will it possibly take off if you left the bypass open?
Your call.

Hogwildz said:

it started out N/S is now kind of N/E S/W

If it is just the round a a couple other smaller pcs, then you may be ok to leave the bypass open. If its a decent size load, it may flame up later on.

Hogwildz said:
You may gunk up the cat, which I assume would burn off in the morn with a hot fire hopefully.
My only concern would be how much load is in there, and will it possibly take off if you left the bypass open?
Your call.

That's what I was concerned about that it might possibly "take off" if I left the bypass open. It was up to 500 last trip downstairs. At 550 salesman said was Ok to engage cat.

I KNEW I shouldn't have put that round in there.

Hogwildz said:
If it is just the round a a couple other smaller pcs, then you may be ok to leave the bypass open. If its a decent size load, it may flame up later on.

Going to try to send a picture ..... next

Can you pry up one end of it, stick some wood under that N-S, and other wood on that all cattywampus? Maybe then pry up the other end and get something under that as well? Think of the way a housefire looks with beams laying in all directions. If you can do that, and get some dry stuff burning semi-beside-beneath it, you might get enough circulation around it to overcome the problem. Good luck. And while you wait to get the temps up, there's always hearth.com . . .

Here's pic

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Is anyone awake?  I have a question.
    DSCF0006.webp
    108.9 KB · Views: 406
  • [Hearth.com] Is anyone awake?  I have a question.
    DSCF0007.webp
    162.5 KB · Views: 397
snowleopard said:
Boozie said:
Hogwildz said:

it started out N/S is now kind of N/E S/W

Can't advise you, but will hang with you for awhile if you're staying up to watch it. I'm about three time zones over, and waiting for my coals to die down enough to get a through-the-night burn, so I'm up for a bit longer.

Thank you so much for hanging with me. I've posted a couple pics. 3 times zones ..... which direction?

Put some smaller stuff on each side and get it flaming, that should get you to the temp you need, then shut bypass.

Looks to me like you don't have much for good hot coals underneath.
You should load sooner when there is more coals to get the new load burning good.
Unless Its just the picture?

West, so it's still yesterday here. I'd be half-tempted to grab that sorry slacker, dump it in an ashbucket, and haul that puppy outside for the night to think it over. Assuming you are properly set up to do such a fool thing?

one nice thing about hearth.com--common sense is not a requirement for membership . . .

snowleopard said:
West, so it's still yesterday here. I'd be half-tempted to grab that sorry slacker, dump it in an ashbucket, and haul that puppy outside for the night to think it over. Assuming you are properly set up to do such a fool thing?

one nice thing about hearth.com--common sense is not a requirement for membership . . .

I gave that a thought earlier in the evening, but figured it would be too risky. I might catch something on fire taking it outside. The temp is almost at 600 so I've engaged the cat. I didn't add more wood to the side of the round .... I didn't want to lower my temp by opening the door.

I think I'm going to bed now. My "old" cat (4-legged one) will wake me in a couple hrs to be fed, so I can check on the fire at that point.

Thank you both "snowleopard" and "hogwildz". I r-e-a-l-l-y appreciate your help and advice. I'm going to have the guy that brought me that load of "rounds" to come back and split it (he said he would). It's much too big for me to handle and is not as dry as it should be. I did have him bring me a load of splits which has worked OK. And I agree with you "Hogwildz" .... I need to get a better bed of coals before adding something like that.

I just checked on it again and the temp is up to 700 and that's good. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU and may you have a good night, what's left of it. :)

I went w/idiot-proof (non-cat) stove, so I'll have to take your word about 700 being good. But good is good, so that's good.

Got my fire laid for the night. Earlier went down, scraped the coals forward with a stick (I have a side door and a front door) and opened up the air intake. When I went down just now, they’d burned down sufficiently for me to `cap’ the coals with a split. Then I put a larger split behind it, resting on the floor of the firebox and leaning against the front split, then tucked one more smaller split in on top of `cap’ split. The coals have to burn through the first split before they can ignite the rest, so I think I’m good to go with a through-the-nighter tonight. Rolling up the sidewalk here on the sunset side of the continent . . .

Boozie said:
I'm going to have the guy that brought me that load of "rounds" to come back and split it (he said he would). It's much too big for me to handle and is not as dry as it should be.

I need to get a better bed of coals before adding something like that.

I wouldn't have him bust up all of the rounds unless you're sure they aren't dry. Set aside a few 5-6" size, they are real nice if you have a good coal bed.

That pic tells a thousand words. I was following this last night in bed on my phone and saw that you were covered, but I saw that photo and thought, "Gee, I've seen that before". Common beginner's error to underestimate the size a bed of coals needs to be to support the combustion of large wood. I did it all the time back in the day. No early morning Internet help back then, just had to pay attention and struggle along until I finally got it going.

If everyone having problems would include a photo of the situation, I think it might be a lot easier to troubleshoot. I see lots of setup pics, and no shortage of good looking burns, but I don't see that many bad burns in progress. It really does help to see it.

Boozie said:
I put about a 7" round in my insert about 3 hrs ago. It's not burning very well. I've put some splits in with it to try to keep it going. I can't get it up to temp (600 degrees) to turn the cat on (close the bypass damper). I hate to go to bed with the damper open. I don't want to wake up with a smoldering log. Any advice? I'm tired and I wanna go to bed. :long:

NO doubt you now have a night's sleep in but a nice girl like you should not be staying up that late at night!! I hope this all worked out well.

The load end up burning ok for ya Boozie?

I did get up a couple times during the night to check on the fire; but managed to get some good sleep this morning .... I slept until 11 a.m. :cheese: I've now had adequate amounts of blueberry pancakes, bacon, and coffee to get me going again.

What a world ..... having trouble with your fireplace in the middle of the night? ...... who you gonna call? .....Hearth.com, that's who :exclaim: Snowleopard and Hogswild came to my rescue.

Regards the pic, there WERE more coals in there than the picture showed, but still ..... I didn't have the coal bed I needed for this chunk of wood. 'nuther lesson learned. :red: I've left message for the guy who brought me the wood to come split some of those larger logs. I will have him leave some "manageable" ones for overnight burns WITH large coal bed. Some of the logs he left, I swear, I don't think I could lift, let alone get them in my insert. My firebox is only about 10" high.

Anywho ..... thanks for the help and advice ..... it was greatly appreciated. I'd send you a blueberry pancake if I could. :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.