Is all double wall 6" stove pipe equal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reaperman1

Aug 7, 2022
Minnesota
I'm getting estimates for my chimney setup from various outlets and the price for double wall stove pipe is all over the board. No brand names are ever given other than basic adjustable "double wall pipe". Is one to assume its from the same manufacturer as the class A such as Excel, DuraTech, etc?

Reactions: RomanW
I would ask what brand they propose in their estimate for the stove pipe.
It's good you are going double wall.
Duravent (brand) DVL ("model", i.e. double wall stove pipe) is a good choice. Selkirk is good too.
There may be others too. I am not knowledgeable enough. @bholler is.

Bottomline, ask what brand they propose in their estimate, so you can ask here.

I have ICC Ultrablack, so do my parents. It works and looks good.
I’m pretty sure I will be using Excel (ICC) products. It looks like quality stuff and the ceiling support box allows for 1 inch of clearance with class A pipe which will help my install. Their price for a 42-68 is a tad more than $200. The local fireplace store wants Over $400 for the same pipe using Duravent

ICC is good stuff and I like DuraVent DVL, but not that big a fan of Selkirk DSP system.