Is a Stihl 251 c-be my best option?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hello everyone!

So I'm looking for a gas chainsaw. My husband gave me the greenlight to seriously scrounge and/or process my own wood after he saw the price of (not even dry) wood and how fast we can burn through it. I have an electric Oregon CS1500 with 18 inch bar, that was my into to chainsaws this year. I really enjoy it but obviously not portable. I'm looking for something appropriate for my needs and skill level. I will be the primary user. I stopped by a Stihl dealer I like (they fixed our lawnmower) and they recommended the MS 251 C-BE, mainly for the easy start.

I need something that's easier to start (I'm not strong enough for the pull cord and my husband has shoulder injuries that could worsen as we age. We tried one gas a chainsaw a while back and starting it was a nightmare).

I also need something that doesn't weigh a lot. My current saw is probably around 10 lbs. I also want something can easily fit the back seat of my truck.

And I need something pretty user friendly for a beginner but still powerful enough to cut logs to a size I can lift them ( I know, I gotta hit the weight room to get stronger)

Right now, wood is not our primary heat source. But I am hoping to finish our basement in a couple years and add a free standing stove in addition to the insert we have. That will allow us to use the gas furnace as secondary (We just really like burning wood and I like the idea of having something that will work for heat and cooking no matter what). So I need a saw that can handle several cords a year as I'm building up our supply for when our wood usage increases (I don't want to have to buy a new saw every few years).

Does the Stihl MS 251 C-BE sound like the best fit? I knew it was gonna set me back a little but I don't want to spend $400 if I can get something just as good for less OR if it's not going to suit my needs. Can anyone recommend anything else?

My $.02....

Based off what you're saying I think the 251C-BE would be a good option for you. Why, you're mentioning needing something easy to start. While I don't like the easystart setup, it is easier. You don't have to make a sharp, fast pull. You just pull and the spring does the rest. I have the standard 251 with a 16" bar and the thing is an animal with that bar. The 18" bar will cut more than you want to handle if your shoulders aren't the strongest.

I don't know what Echo has but they might also have something with an easystart style setup. Might check into what they have and see if they maybe have something that would work, assuming you have a dealer near you.

Another thing that's good about purchasing from a local dealer is that they should do the following:

- Go over the features of the saw with you
- Show you how it works and how to make adjustments to the chain tension, etc.
- Fire up the saw, let it warm up and adjust the carburetor so it's tuned correctly for your elevation
- Sell you some files that are compatible with the chain you are using
- Sell you a spare chain so you always have a sharp one on hand

Also often if you buy some of the 2 stroke oil from the dealer they will increase the warranty. Irregardless of the saw I prefer the Stihl HP Ultra 2 stroke oil, it works well.

Another thing that's good about purchasing from a local dealer is that they should do the following:

- Go over the features of the saw with you
- Show you how it works and how to make adjustments to the chain tension, etc.
- Fire up the saw, let it warm up and adjust the carburetor so it's tuned correctly for your elevation
- Sell you some files that are compatible with the chain you are using
- Sell you a spare chain so you always have a sharp one on hand

Also often if you buy some of the 2 stroke oil from the dealer they will increase the warranty. Irregardless of the saw I prefer the Stihl HP Ultra 2 stroke oil, it works well.

Thanks for the tip about the warranty!!

I pulled the trigger and bought the saw Friday. Used it tonight (it was tricky getting it started, had to watch a video to refresh what the dealer taught me). It cut great! Also bought the oil to double the warranty.

Reactions: bloyet03 and Zack R
I pulled the trigger and bought the saw Friday. Used it tonight (it was tricky getting it started, had to watch a video to refresh what the dealer taught me). It cut great! Also bought the oil to double the warranty.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear that it cut great. I hope it continues to meet your expectations. It should be a great saw.

My small saw is a 251 EZ start. good saw. I use it more than any other.