Intrepid II 1987 Combustion Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

BCnuggetlover

Sep 8, 2024
British Columbia
Hi there,

I’ve tried searching this amazing forum for an answer to my question but I unable to find one so I decided to post!
I recently bought a 1987 Intrepid II and installed it in a 500 sq/ft cottage and just tad confused on cleaning!!

I want to clean out the combuster & element and want to clarify the proper procedure before going ahead with my weekend project!
Ive watched quite a few videos but still can’t find the answers to my questions.

In my first photo I have hi-lighted the 2 clamps in inside the stove that need to be loosened and turned 90 degrees inwards, that I get!

Once I have loosened the clamps am I supposed to pull out the fireback and pull it from left to right by the ribs??
No idea what the “ribs” are; if someone can point they are I would be extremely grateful.

And the top panel (circled in blue) is this where the catalytic element is and that panel needs to be loosened and removed as well and opened up to clean?

Sorry for the new intrepid owner questions, I just want to ensure I do this right and don’t want to have call my amazing dad over to do it!!

Also last tidbit, there is no thermometer in the back, there is no opening for one and from what I can see, never was so I’m not sure if this is a huge issue or not.

Thanks so much for your help!

I appreciate this more than you know.

[Hearth.com] Intrepid II 1987 Combustion Cleaning Question