Intrepid 1 stove Hearth temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Seanhale

Jul 3, 2024
United Kingdom
I have an enamelled Intrepid 1 stove and based in the UK. Our building code says that if the hearth temperature is above 100 degrees C then the hearth must be at least 5 inches thick of non combustible material eg concrete, otherwise it can be a minimum of 1/2 inch. Does anyone know what the published temp is underneath the stove? I've checked the manuals but can't seem to find any info. Without a credible source for this the installers will only sign off on the 5 inch concrete slab which I would seek to avoid installing if possible. Thanks for any advice

Vermont Castings might have that information, but since the company has changed hands and reinvented itself multiple times since your stove was made it’s unlikely. It’s probably worth emailing them though.

What does the back tag say that the required R value is? Maybe a material that has better insulation can be substituted.