Interior Damage to Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Heathcliff

Dec 7, 2017
Hudson Valley, NY
I need some help. I have an Efel wood stove and there's damaged to the interior.

The baffle (I think that's what the piece at the top is called) is cracked. It appears to be connected to a piece in the back of the stove (don't know the name) that leads up to the pipe. In one of the photos, you can see that this thing that leads to the stove pipe is separated in the middle (think this could have happened when the baffle corroded on the top).

Just took some photos as coals were burning down.

Chimney sweep was here a few months ago and didn't say anything. There was some cracking to the baffle at the time, but the thing covering the leadup to the stove pipe wasn't split in the middle.

Any help as to what these pieces are, how easy they are to replace, approximate cost, or what I should do would be a big help.

Sorry for sounding so uneducated about this stuff. Hoping to learn.

Thank you so very much.

Attachments

• IMG-9511.JPG
    IMG-9511.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG-9512.JPG
    IMG-9512.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG-9513.JPG
    IMG-9513.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 365
I need some help. I have an Efel wood stove and there's damaged to the interior.

The baffle (I think that's what the piece at the top is called) is cracked. It appears to be connected to a piece in the back of the stove (don't know the name) that leads up to the pipe. In one of the photos, you can see that this thing that leads to the stove pipe is separated in the middle (think this could have happened when the baffle corroded on the top).

Just took some photos as coals were burning down.

Chimney sweep was here a few months ago and didn't say anything. There was some cracking to the baffle at the time, but the thing covering the leadup to the stove pipe wasn't split in the middle.

Any help as to what these pieces are, how easy they are to replace, approximate cost, or what I should do would be a big help.

Sorry for sounding so uneducated about this stuff. Hoping to learn.

Thank you so very much.

If anyone is reading this, after doing some digging, was told that I this needed close to $600 in parts alone. The stove doesn't use fire bricks, but rather cast iron baffles on top of the stove and in the back. At that price, with shipping and likely needing a professional, likely better to sell and get new.

If anyone is reading this, after doing some digging, was told that I this needed close to $600 in parts alone. The stove doesn't use fire bricks, but rather cast iron baffles on top of the stove and in the back. At that price, with shipping and likely needing a professional, likely better to sell and get new.
That parts price sounds a little high but pricing will vary greatly by stove so it may be accurate. Post a pic of the stove I have worked on a few efels but not many. In most cases the internal panels are easy to change but for some you need to pull the top.

That parts price sounds a little high but pricing will vary greatly by stove so it may be accurate. Post a pic of the stove I have worked on a few efels but not many. In most cases the internal panels are easy to change but for some you need to pull the top.

I went to WoodmansPartsPlus and the lady on the phone was helpful. I figured it needed a right and left baffle, the connector piece at the bottom for them, and the piece above. Been heating with wood for three years, so I know how to work the stove well, but am still a novice in terms of how it functions and how to replace things.

Before I call in a "professional" - I'd just like to remotely know what I'm talking about. If it's a definite between parts and labor I'm paying close to 1k, I'd rather just cut my losses, sell this stove for whatever I can get, and get something new.

Thank you so much for your willingness to provide insight.

IMG_9519.jpg IMG_9520.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to WoodmansPartsPlus and the lady on the phone was helpful. I figured it needed a right and left baffle, the connector piece at the bottom for them, and the piece above. Been heating with wood for three years, so I know how to work the stove well, but am still a novice in terms of how it functions and how to replace things.

Before I call in a "professional" - I'd just like to remotely know what I'm talking about. If it's a definite between parts and labor I'm paying close to 1k, I'd rather just cut my losses, sell this stove for whatever I can get, and get something new.

Thank you so much for your willingness to provide insight.

View attachment 241215 View attachment 241216
Yes as bad as those burn plates are I would replace all of the internal panels. And then pay attention to the temps you are running at. Damage like that is usually due to overfiring