Interior air handlers on mini splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I had a contractor over to look at installing a couple mini splits and he seemed to have some trouble finding good spots to install the inside units. I didn’t expect that would be an issue. It seems that my cape floor plan doesn’t leave large enough open wall spaces, or at least, not many of them. I’m sure he was looking for easy, slam dunk installations. Maybe I don’t have one, lol.

So, are there any manufacturers that have small inside units for their minisplits? I don’t need a lot of capacity, I figure two 1 ton units would easily cover my needs.

Most companies have floor and ceiling air handler options in addition to the wall warts.

I’ve been looking into those too. Downstairs I’d have trouble with the ceiling cassettes, as the floors/ceiling isn’t thick enough. I had to use an aluminum plate over my bathroom fan as it was thicker than the floor, but the 3/4” of wood tongue and groove over it barely cleared the fan. The plate covers the floor hole and has carpet stretched over the top. I’m thinking it must have been 2x6 floor joists.

Upstairs I could use a ceiling cassette with a little reframing of a false ceiling. They appear to be 20” x 20” or so. Just larger than the 16” on center I framed it with when I put the ceiling in, lol.

I haven’t looked much into the floor cassettes. Finding a spot that would be out of the way and not covered by furniture is harder than I thought it would be, lol. I’m still researching, looking at my floor, etc. I’ll figure it out, but I don’t think it’s going to be a super easy install.

What's the primary heating system?

Well that doesn't work...

[Hearth.com] Interior air handlers on mini splits

What's the primary heating system?
Natural gas boiler.

It’s a comfort thing. I think it’d be hard to actually save money with this.

So far Daiken has the smallest floor mount that I’ve found.

[Hearth.com] Interior air handlers on mini splits

Reactions: begreen
Natural gas boiler.
OK, so no existing ductwork. If there is a basement, would a ducted air handler work with just floor registers upstairs? This is an available option for several brands.
It’s a comfort thing. I think it’d be hard to actually save money with this.
If cooling and dehumidification is desired then comfort can be year round.

I do have some duct work down there from an old coal stove that used to be in the basement. I just had never gotten around to removing all of it. It’s all 6” round, I figured it was all undersized and bad, lol.

my only recommendation is try and stay away from condensate pumps.