Interesting source of wood for the last 75 years.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Howdy. I thought I would use my first post to tell you about this unusual source of wood. It's long been a source of heat for generations in the area I spent part of my youth (and now have permanent roots). It's officially known as Western Larch but some may know it as western Tamarack.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/wilderness/forest/westlarch.htm

What is interesting is that a huge forest fire in 1931 burned most of the summer in southern BC in an area around Camp McKinney in the Boundary area. That's just east of Osoyoos for you Google Earth fans. Fighting this large fire was a source of much needed income during the depression and there were a number of suspicious flare ups in the area as a result of that. These dry interior forests thin themselves naturally over hundreds of years as the trees compete for sunlight and moisture. Most of these areas had never been logged prior to the fire of '31 so trees 2 to 4 feet across at the butt were commonplace. There has even been the odd specimen measure out over 5'. This fire killed tens of thousands of these large Larch trees but the high concentration of sap in the butt kept them from rotting and falling over. To this day, some 75 years later, you can still see a number of these big Larch snags still standing tall over the newer growth, dead and without branches. Usually those remaining are somewhat unaccessable as all the easy ones has been harvested.

The typical Larch snag harvested in the 70's would be some 3' at the base, totally dry, no branches, a few knots maybe starting 60 to 80' up, and usually a large crack running vertical which made splitting a breeze. I've seen one tree yield 2 full pickup trucks full of wood. An 18" long round cut at the butt could weigh 75lbs. The wood produced such a hot fire that cast grates would warp and burn out if the fire's were not dampened.

When I get my new Vermont Aspen set up, I'll burn a little of this wood but mostly I'll burn Trembling Aspen. I believe some call it yellow poplar in the USA. Some if what I've cut is quite dense so it burns fairly long and puts out plenty BTU's.

I've been itching to burn some tamarack. It's considered a hardwood in these neck of the woods. I would gather all you can.

Larch is an anomaly. Loses its needles in the winter, just like deciduous trees. Yet is full of pitch and looks like a pine. It's a very interesting tree.

Ranks above cherry and elm in btus/cord:
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Tamarack is great stuff by Western standards. Puts out lots of heat, burns clean with little ash, and best of all splits like a dream, on a good day you can split a 2 foot round with an ax. I have some dead on my property to burn, but not as much as I'd like.

Bri

brian_in_idaho said:
Tamarack is great stuff by Western standards. Puts out lots of heat, burns clean with little ash, and best of all splits like a dream, on a good day you can split a 2 foot round with an ax. I have some dead on my property to burn, but not as much as I'd like.

Bri

How does it treat your stove and chimney/liner? Excess creosote?

recppd said:
brian_in_idaho said:

Bri

How does it treat your stove and chimney/liner? Excess creosote?

Seems to be pretty good, it doen't have the sap/resin that you get with some of our other Western woods. Red (Douglas) Fir burns well too, but it has a lot more sap pockets, I'd think that contributes to the creosote issue.

I just got back from a trip to Montana, where larch is the valuable tree on woodlots and industrial tree farms. Since it brings the big money for sawtimber, it's probably harder to find good firewood lengths at affordable prices. Don't know if that's the same situation further West. I seem to recall that Doug Fir is the big money tree closer to the coast. It's a beautiful tree. We have tamarack here on the East Coast too, but it's not quite as impressive. Plus, we have all kinds of good hardwood, so I don't know anybody who burns it.

Eric Johnson said:
I just got back from a trip to Montana, where larch is the valuable tree on woodlots and industrial tree farms. Since it brings the big money for sawtimber, it's probably harder to find good firewood lengths at affordable prices. Don't know if that's the same situation further West. I seem to recall that Doug Fir is the big money tree closer to the coast. It's a beautiful tree. We have tamarack here on the East Coast too, but it's not quite as impressive. Plus, we have all kinds of good hardwood, so I don't know anybody who burns it.

Around here you can find both Doug fir and Tam pretty readily in the National Forests, and get a firewood gathering permit for $5/cord. You can't cut green trees, but standing dead is fair game. Of course any dead Tamerack close to the roads goes real fast... I've seen some nice slash piles with Tam by logging operations up where we hunt, but haven't haven't taken the time to drive the pickup that far to haul it.

It's also fairly available from the commercial guys, but it's gone way up in price, I've seen it for around $200/cord this year, just a couple years ago it was 100-120.

Bri

Another interesting tidbit about the Larch. Some 30 or 40 years ago, a study was rumoured to have been done in a B.C. university silvaculture dept. They were evaluating how well Larch shakes would work as roofing material, more specifically, it's longevity. I believe they arrived at a figure of 70 years. Never heard of anybody actually using it tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.