Insulating the ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think we are going to try the mass loaded vinyl for walls and ceiling with some r15 rockwool in ceiling as well. After we finish the long list of exterior projects before the winter comes.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Nothing would happen. The cellulose would still hold the shape of the wall. It's settled in there. Dense pack just settles less as it's packed in more.

Nothing would happen. The cellulose would still hold the shape of the wall. It's settled in there. Dense pack just settles less as it's packed in more.
Thats my point! And whats the chances the wall has to be opened up again .0001%

Is cellulose insulation a DIY thing or do you need to hire it out?
In general, loose or medium pack cellulose can be done DIY with big box equipment. Dense pack cellulose in walls and such requires pro equipment.

Reactions: ben94122
My wife doesn't like blown in insulation, she worries about what happens when the walls need to be opened up.
How frequently would that be? Most walls never get opened up. Is a remodel expected in this area?

How frequently would that be? Most walls never get opened up. Is a remodel expected in this area?

It's not a rational fear, but sometimes that's how it goes.

Get your wife her own house, or give her a set of ear plugs.
Sounds like no matter what you do, won't cure her complaints.
Insulation will slightly quiet the creaking, but will not stop it, nor keep her from hearing it.
If she doesn't like your suggestions for taking care of things, what solutions is she offering?
I am sure glad to be single.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Get your wife her own house, or give her a set of ear plugs.
Sounds like no matter what you do, won't cure her complaints.
Insulation will slightly quiet the creaking, but will not stop it, nor keep her from hearing it.
If she doesn't like your suggestions for taking care of things, what solutions is she offering?
I am sure glad to be single.

The creaking is one thing, but it's the toilet/bathroom noise that annoys her the most. She does not like hearing me use the toilet and flush it while she is sipping coffee.

She does not like hearing me use the toilet and flush it while she is sipping coffee.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and that is worth going to all this hassle and compromise? Get her some noise-canceling headsets. My wife is pretty ocd and has never mentioned this one. Maybe you could use the first floor toilet while she is sipping her coffee?

Reactions: AlbergSteve
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and that is worth going to all this hassle and compromise? Get her some noise-canceling headsets. My wife is pretty ocd and has never mentioned this one. Maybe you could use the first floor toilet while she is sipping her coffee?
Heh, we only have one bathroom. I think we are just going to put a bit of insulation in the kitchen ceiling area to block noises from the bathroom.

The creaking is one thing, but it's the toilet/bathroom noise that annoys her the most. She does not like hearing me use the toilet and flush it while she is sipping coffee.
LOL, well that is a shitzky situation. Just reinforces my okay with being singleness.
I don't envy you.

Reactions: Z33 and SpaceBus
She does not like hearing me use the toilet and flush it while she is sipping coffee.
I pee off the deck... with @Hogwildz on this one. Next will be the wood stove is making to many ticking noises. Every house has noises, overtime they all melt into themselves and become white noise.
My neighbor did a rather lengthy remodel / addition to his place in the mid 90's, he said his biggest regret is never adding a second bathroom, best advice, when doing a remodel / addition.. add a bathroom, toilet and a sink goes a long way and doesn't take much space.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I cant hear anything from the 2 bathrooms on the 2nd floor. And both are above a large kitchen. Possibly because both have cement board under tile and marble then 3/4 wood flooring under that but no type of insulation in the ceiling below. I always try to put bathrooms far from kitchens if possible. Iv seen brand new houses with them too close. Where you can see the throne through an open door from the kitchen ,not good ,odors are another good reason to keep a distance.

When/if you get older, going upstairs to use the bathroom is gonna get old quick. No way to add a toilet and sink 1/2 bath downstairs ?

If you're in the middle of renovations screwing down tongue and groove subfloor (where the nails have loosened and tongues/grooves cracked) isn't all that big of a project.

Reactions: SpaceBus