Installing wood stove in metal pole barn. Question on BOM.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ivan88

Sep 11, 2023
America
Hi. I have a steel building with concrete floors. The ceiling is open up to the rafters @ ~12'. There is nothing flammable around. There is 1" of insulation under the corrugated steel roof. The pipe will come straight off the top of the stove and out the roof. No bends or 90s. That said, does this BOM look good:

1x Supervent® 8" ID Class A Double Wall Storm Collar Model #: JSC8ASC
1x Supervent® 8" ID Class A Double Wall Deluxe Rain Cap Model #: JSC8DRC
1x Supervent® 8" ID Class A Double Wall Flat 6/12 Pitch Roof Flashing Model #: JSC8F6
1x Supervent® 8" ID x 36" Class A Double Wall Vent Pipe Model #: JSC8SA3
1x Supervent® 8" ID Class A Double Wall Stove Pipe Adapter Model #: JSC8ASE
4x 8" ID x 24" Single Wall Black Stove Vent Pipe Black Model #: 10108214BB

There are things like a damper or more than 1x Double wall vent pipe that I am curious about. Or, am I good with the list above?

Thank you!

Edit:
1x Supervent® 8" ID Class A Double Wall Roof Support Model#: JSC8RS

Last edited:
I don't see anything to support the chimney. You will either need a support box or a roof mount support bracket.

Also what is the building used for?

Good point! I thought the roof flashing would hold it but now I see it just sits loosely in it.

The building is used as a workshop.

Good point! I thought the roof flashing would hold it but now I see it just sits loosely in it.

The building is used as a workshop.
What type of work will be done in the workshop?

All sorts, wood working, mechanical repair... Sorry, I don't understand the aim of the question.
Because solid fuel stoves are not allowed in any garage by code anywhere in the usa. If you are doing automotive repairs in the space that means a woodstove can't be installed there. There is nothing against them in woodshops in the national code but many states or localities don't allow it

Because solid fuel stoves are not allowed in any garage by code anywhere in the usa. If you are doing automotive repairs in the space that means a woodstove can't be installed there. There is nothing against them in woodshops in the national code but many states or localities don't allow it
Oh, okay. It is definitely not a garage for vehicles per se.

Oh, okay. It is definitely not a garage for vehicles per se.
Yes but if you will be working on vehicles in that space it qualifies as a garage. Also if gasoline is present in the space it's not allowed.

That being said many people still do it including myself. But you should be aware that an insurance claim is likely to be denied if anything ever happens

Yes but if you will be working on vehicles in that space it qualifies as a garage. Also if gasoline is present in the space it's not allowed.

That being said many people still do it including myself. But you should be aware that an insurance claim is likely to be denied if anything ever happens
Understood. If I go through the apex of the roof how high do I need to be above it with the double wall pipe? 2 feet?

Understood. If I go through the apex of the roof how high do I need to be above it with the double wall pipe? 2 feet?
You need to be 2' above anything within 10'. Also you need to figure out how much chimney you need inside. I would typically recommend running chimney down to the bottom of the trusses where a ceiling would be.

You need to be 2' above anything within 10'. Also you need to figure out how much chimney you need inside. I would typically recommend running chimney down to the bottom of the trusses where a ceiling would be.
Any advantage of a support box over a roof mount support bracket? Considering this is just passing through 1" of foam insulation and the metal roof? The box is aestehtically more appealing but the roof bracket seems to get the job done.

Any advantage of a support box over a roof mount support bracket? Considering this is just passing through 1" of foam insulation and the metal roof? The box is aestehtically more appealing but the roof bracket seems to get the job done.
I think the box does a better job and is easier to install. But roof brackets work fine