• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fordskidoo

Aug 23, 2024
Connecticut
Looking for thoughts on this.

I have a Regency insert in my family room fireplace and love it, but it only heats up that room on the side of the house.

I want to put a wood stove in my basement. House is a ranch, front of house has oil tank/ limited room to put a stove and I don’t want chimney pipe out the front. One side of basement is our garage and the other side, the foundation ends and then there’s a slab for the family room.

Long story short, that leaves me the back wall of the house. The house overhangs the foundation by 2 feet as shown. I’m worried about clearances and what the best way to run the pipe out of the basement is and under that over hang. Also note, that my deck runs across the entire backside of my basement. and where the deck ends, is the garage portion of the basement.

Pictures attached of what I’m talking about. I believe 10.5” is too small for a 6” double wall being a diameter of 8 but clearance of 12 so I’d have to go through the concrete. and if I go through the concrete foundation, then do i need to dig a trench to run 2' of stove pipe out to the side of the house and then 90 degrees up?

OR:

The other option is you can see an egress window near the house spigot behind the deck. Can I run chimney pipe out that and do 2, 45 degree fittings to come out? Thoughts? safety concerns on going through a basement window?

Any pictures of installs like this would be helpful.

Installing Chimney Pipe with Foundation Overhang Questions.Installing Chimney Pipe with Foundation Overhang Questions.Installing Chimney Pipe with Foundation Overhang Questions.Installing Chimney Pipe with Foundation Overhang Questions.

A long horizontal run that will clear the overhang and the eave is not great. It will a challenge for cleaning and may reduce draft so badly that running the stove is a serious pain. Smoke really prefers to go up. Can a chimney pipe go up through the house in a corner, closet, or cabinet? It would need to be chased to protect it.

How will the firewood get to the basement? It's not fun to carry it through the house and down the stairs on a daily basis. If the basement walls are not insulated, the heat loss is high.

I should have made it more clear in original post. One side of my house is dug out so the garage is under half of my basement. I can walk wood right in with no problem.

I’m trying to avoid going straight through the house due to its floor plan and limited selection of area in basement to locate the stove. Whoever designed the house put the oil tank, furnace, water heater, central vac, and washer/dryer scattered all over the basement.

As for basement insulation, the walls are not insulated currently, but planing on finishing most, if not all of the basement in the coming year.

Just trying to get a stove installed before this winter hits.

Sorry I can't offer a solution to make this work but there are a number of factors that make the proposal dubious. Basement installs can be problematic due to negative pressure there. It's not always the case, but the chances are greater there. The chimney looks like it will be on the shorter side due to the single story. If the house was 2+ story and there was another 30' of vertical rise then, once the pipe was warmed up, it might draft adequately, but with the risk of draft stall or reversal as the fire cools down. Adding about 4' of horizontal chimney is like putting a stop sign in the pipe. At best it could be a creosote trap.

Before starting, it would be good to think about alternatives if a way to chase the pipe straight up can't be figured out. A pellet stove or mini-split heat pump could heat the basement.

if it were and I expired all other solutions, heat pump, pellet stove, baseboard electric etc. and I still thought this was the best I would excavate and install a window well with drainage….. I liked at the picture again. I wouldn’t put a chimney in with that long of a horizontal run. It would be inside or I would not do it.

How does the oil burner vent? Want to switch away from oil?

Or go through the soffit. Not a big deal to do that.

Still, the chimney will be short even for a 2 ft horizontal run (and two 90s!).

Reactions: begreen
Yes, going through the soffit would help, if there is room. And yes, the height of the flue may still be a challenge but might work with an easy breathing stove connected with a 45º offset inside instead of a 90.

Or go through the soffit. Not a big deal to do that.

Still, the chimney will be short even for a 2 ft horizontal run (and two 90s!).
It will be closer to 5 feet horizontal I think. 2 feet to clear the wall 2 feet to clear the overhang and an 1 more to clear the soffit.

It will be closer to 5 feet horizontal I think. 2 feet to clear the wall 2 feet to clear the overhang and an 1 more to clear the soffit.
Going thru the soffit will be much shorter. But my point was that for a one story house even a 2 ft horizontal run is long (as in the chances it brings draft down below necessary specs).

Reactions: EbS-P