Installing a kuma sequoia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stonehousekennels

Nov 5, 2018
I just purchased a Kuma sequoia insert. I just put in a new bluestone hearth, ran a vent line to install an oak and cut out the old flue. The last thing I need to do is order a chimney liner and have been researching for weeks now.

I have a masonry chimney with a 12x12 clay lining. I want to install a 8"x25' heavy wall 304 flex liner. I talked to a couple local shops and they seemed confused about me asking about the heavy wall liner or I wasn't positive they would order the right thing. I called a couple manufacturers but they wouldn't sell to the public.

I have found 2 sites that sell the heavy wall liner. Woodlanddirect has .018 wall liner for $719 and Firesidechimneysupply has .016 wall liner for $649. Anyone have experience with either of these or know of a better option?

Last edited by a moderator:
Woodland Direct heavy duty liner is Champion also sold as Ventis. Good product. I'm not sure who makes Fireflex.

I looked at the Kuma's for a while, I'm glad you know that the sequoia is 8". Would like to see the bluestone hearth and the sequoia when it's all done. I have a 16" deep bluestone hearth that is 2.5" thick/off the floor, so I was pretty limited to a flush insert.

I think the Armor Flex is the HD Olympia liner...Ventis? I don't know, it's all very confusing when you don't chase the rabbit too far down the hole. ;) Doesn't seem that they sell to non-pros. @bholler is familiar with Ventis/Olympia.
I got the HomeSaver Roundflex 304, but even the 6" ain't exactly cheap. .18"

Any heavy flex from a reputable supplier should be fine

I bought mine at chimney liner depot.

I looked at the Kuma's for a while, I'm glad you know that the sequoia is 8". Would like to see the bluestone hearth and the sequoia when it's all done. I have a 16" deep bluestone hearth that is 2.5" thick/off the floor, so I was pretty limited to a flush insert.
I'm currently redoing a 1847 stone house. I have a Regancey 2400 in my current home. I wanted a larger stove with a bigger firebox and longer burn times for the new house. I had room a 8" liner so I decided on the Kuma.

I ripped out the old brick tile hearth, it was too small anyhow. I wanted an insert that stuck out. The bluestone hearth is 2" thick, 66"x24". It sits in the cherry wood floor but sticks up about an inch. I had the top edges chiseled cut. I love how it turned out and cant wait to put the stove in. I will take pics for sure.

I think the Armor Flex is the HD Olympia liner...Ventis? I don't know, it's all very confusing when you don't chase the rabbit too far down the hole. ;) Doesn't seem that they sell to non-pros. @bholler is familiar with Ventis/Olympia.
I got the HomeSaver Roundflex 304, but even the 6" ain't exactly cheap. .18"
I lucked out my current home as the chimneys had already been lined with heavy 6" liners. Good thing too because those chimneys are 35ft+. Plus I found a great deal on cl on a barely used Regancey insert. Put that in years ago and was a cheap investment.

Now on the new house I bought a brand new stove and a bunch of extras to go along with it. Plus now I need to buy 25ft chimney, the costs are really adding up. I have been trying to decide on a liner for weeks now. Was all set to buy one of the thinner liners .006 as the price was attractive. I'd like to heat mostly with wood once we get moved in and use the oil boiler little as possible. I decide I probably should go with the heavy liner since it will getting heavy usage but they are $$.

I'm not seeing a heavy liner on their site
It was a while ago so they may not have the same inventory. Sorry I didn't look but it was popular back when I was installing a stove so I threw it out there.

I have found 2 sites that sell the heavy wall liner. Woodlanddirect has .018 wall liner for $719 and Firesidechimneysupply has .016 wall liner for $649. Anyone have experience with either of these or know of a better option?

Haven't ordered anything from Woodland, but I did get my liner insulation from Fireside. Both are local to me so I could go over to either of them if I needed to shake some trees.

I see a lot of people have bought from them in the past. They may have it but their site isn't the easiest to navigate.
Maybe call. They were very helpful when I bought mine even calling before shipping to make sure they sent the right cap.