Install on a Kent Barker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jokersloose68

Oct 20, 2013
Wyoming
Hi,

I picked up a Kent Barker to put in my trailer house and need some information for the install. I have a friend who puts in pellet stoves and he gave me a list of Excel brand piping. I priced "most" of it and it was just over $800.00. I am on disability and by the time I save up $1000.00 to $1200.00 it will be summer. Not asking if the Excel is worth the money I am sure it is epically for a trailer. What I need to know is there a company that is comparable that I "might" be able to get too the $400.00 or $500.00 range?

Also, I called Mernard's and the kid there told me that 5/8 sheetrock will work just as well as the Micor board. Is that true?

I can post the parts list if that would help.

Thanks,

James

Wood stoves that are installed in a trailer have to be specially certified for that kind of install, I do not believe that old Kent Barker is certified for Trailer installs.

Give us some more details with pictures about how you want to install a wood stove in your trailer, it can be done but your budget will need to be increased, especially for another wood stove.

Do a google search for "mobile home approved wood stoves"

Mobile homes have special needs. It will have a short chimney so straight up is advised. This is less expensive partswise, but you need to do the roof flashing correctly due to the low pitch. Also, is this a metal roof, composition, or other? That will determine the type of flashing required. The stove will need an outside air connection and is supposed to be screwed down to the floor and a double-wall connector piping on the interior is recommended. www.dynamitebuys.com has decent pricing on DuraTech and Selkirk Super Pro chimney and connector pipe and they provide good service. Your friends quote for piping is decent if that is complete from stove to chimney cap, especially for ICC Excel pipe.

I'm curious how you got the Kent Barker? This is the first I have read about in the states. Do you have the manual? If so, what are the hearth requirements specifically? No sheet rock is approved for hearth usage. You will want to use a cement board like Durock or Wonderboard. I need to know the actual hearth requirements to understand whether you need micore or not. You may be able to buildup layers of Durock NexGen to achieve the required R value.

Last edited:
Little info on the Kent Barker:

Kent Wood Fires have been providing home comfort to New Zealanders for over 30 years. Back in 1979 the Kent Barker Log Fire was one of the first models in the market to feature the double-burning principle in domestic wood heaters, a principle that inspired further clean-air fire advancements and improved heating efficiencies.

To commemorate the importance of the original Barker fire, we are introducing a new Kent Barker II to our range this winter. The Barker II will be positioned as the highest output, clean-air approved, combi-heat fire in our extensive range. With a firebox size of 60 litres, and heat output of 6-20kW (overall average efficiency 71%) this attractive fire reliably heats an area up to 260m². It’s Ideal for larger homes with various ceiling heights and can be fitted with a clean-air wetback option.

The Barker II only requires ember protection for the hearth. I'm not sure about the original Barker. My concern is that the original Barker may not be legal for mobile home installation. I'm guessing that it is not UL tested and possibly without an outside air connection? I know your finances are limited. What condition is the stove in? Can you post a picture of it?

Thanks for the reply. I picked it up local put out and ad on freecycle and this guy emailed said he had one he took out of his daughters house he would sell for $25.00 had the friend who puts in pellets come look he said it needs new door and glass seals, and gave me a parts list.

Here are a couple of pictures of the back. And the PDF is the only information I can find on the spec's and it only list a Barker II. As you can see the #'s for mine and the #'s for the 2 don't match. I have emailed the company to see if I can get more info on mine.

Thanks,

James

Attachments

• Install on a Kent Barker
    1021130840.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 285
    1021130840a.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 968171247_3729 Kent Wood Fire Tech Specs Update.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 552
Good to see the UL test and clearance requirements. It looks like it needs a fair amount of clearance. How large is the trailer?

Its 14x60 plan on putting it in a corner. So what doI need to do the hearth? Anything on the wall, or will the clearnece be enough. I thought going 5ft sq for it, the guy who is doing the install said to give some extra incase it hss to move to fit the roof mount.

Here are some pictures of it.
Thanks,
James

Attachments

1021130939a.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 336
    1021130939.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 265
    1021130939a.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 239
    1021130940a-1.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 306
    1021130940.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 207
    1021130940b.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 274
You also might want to check to see if that is a 7" collar. If it is you will have to get a transition from 7" to 6".

This stove does not appear to have a fresh air intake, without that it really lacks being a mobile home approved install. Your insurance may SAY you are covered but when it comes time to pay up they will use this as an out.

It would only be a guess as to what the hearth requirements are. Maybe start a conversation with precaud. He owns a Kent Tile Fire which is similar. The clearances are established on the back label. If the installation meets or exceeds them it will be ok. There is no harm putting up some ventilated wall shields if clearances are close.

What are your ideas for the hearth? Are you intending to tile it?

I'm hoping James wants to live a few years longer and is here to find out how to do it right, but cost effectively.

Reactions: jeff_t
begreen,

Yes we wish to tile it when it's all said and done.

Mellow,

NOPE not on my watch anyways. As I have already said I have a guy who does this for a living who gave me the parts list. If I have to save till next summer to do it right then so be it I'll save till next summer. But thanks for the input.

James

How ever "if" I had not stopped long enough to ask someone then you would probably be right. 2 90's with a piece of tin sticking out of a window and a few sticks of what ever kind of pipe I could find. But I knew that a trailer house has special needs so thought it might be a good idea to get some information. After all we are in the middle of the information age LOL

James

That would be Duravent DVL pipe. This is the interior double wall pipe that connects the stove to the ceiling support box. You would use DuraTech from the support box up through the roof. A kit for $250 is too low for the whole system. Ask your buddy if he can also get DuraVent pipe instead of Excel, for a cost savings. You may still need an Excel flashing if the roof is metal.Depends on the style of metal roofing.

Can you provide a link to the manual online?

OK, that's the Tile Fire manual, your stove pedestal looks shorter, but it's hard to tell in the grass. Is the stove out of the weather now?

Status
Not open for further replies.