Insert Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
After shopping and looking at a dozen or so I found this to be regrettably true. Every flush mount was EW only.

Hey Redd,
I have the Osburn 2400 insert. 3.2 cf firebox. It's a heating beast. EW it takes I think 22" and NS I'm positive it takes 20" logs. So I'm not saying it's definitely the insert for your dad, but it does seem to fit the bill. Protrudes about 7-8" into the room, and uses 6" liner. A lot of inserts look a lot nicer, but this unit is a heating beast. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Impressions from our shopping tour yesterday

First place we stopped was the PE dealer (Northwest Hearth & Home in Olympia) to look at the Summit insert. The Summit was my first choice 3 years ago and remains my first choice. After getting a good look at the firebox, and baffle, it moved up a few places in my old man's brain too. $4200 installed.

The second place we looked at the Regency 3100 and the Avalon Olympic at Capital City Stove and Grill. Unfortunately they didn't have a 3100 on the floor and the sales guy said they rarely sell them (seems like a chicken and egg situation) but they did have a 2400 which looks the same and has the same door. My dad wasn't crazy about the Avalon but not for any reason. $3800 installed - I think the 3100 was $60 more.

Last we hit Olympia Fireplace & Spa where we looked at the Country Canyon. My dad loved this one: firebox was huge and square, sticking out 9", and it didn't hurt that the young lady working the floor was sortov gorgeous. $4300 installed.

Reactions: dafattkidd
have the Osburn 2400 insert. 3.2 cf firebox. It's a heating beast. EW it takes I think 22" and NS I'm positive it takes 20" logs. So I'm not saying it's definitely the insert for your dad, but it does seem to fit the bill. Protrudes about 7-8" into the room, and uses 6" liner. A lot of inserts look a lot nicer, but this unit is a heating beast. Hope that helps. Good luck.
In looking for an EPA insert, Osburn says the box is only 14 or 15" deep........are you sure that it will take a 20" log NS??

Last we hit Olympia Fireplace & Spa where we looked at the Country Canyon. My dad loved this one: firebox was huge and square, sticking out 9", and it didn't hurt that the young lady working the floor was sortov gorgeous. $4300 installed.

The first ones you mention take a 6" liner......are you sure this one doesn't take an 8" liner?? Just something to think about.

Are you ruling out rear vent free standers because the isle Royale may work

Positive. It's 21" brick to glass.
[Hearth.com] Insert Suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jeff_t
It's new, built to the hilt. Not sure if it is on their website yet. It has a heat exchanger extraction system that looks quite aggressive. The Country line is now under IHP. This is the only info I found online about the new Montlake insert.

(broken link removed to http://rockymountainstove.com/lennoxmontlakewoodinsert.aspx)

(broken image removed)

I've got one of these, but it's not in the same size range as the Summit and the other 3cf stoves being mentioned. This is an insert version of the Grandview 230, not the 300. The firebox is square, but 17" is the longest log I feel comfortable putting in N-S, that's practically touching the glass.

The plan is to steer him to a PE Summit, but either way the collar size won't matter

From what you have said, he likes it, you like it, and it will heat his home. I say that is a win for everyone.

Plus, you just don't hear people complaining about PE products. So that is a bonus.

Positive. It's 21" brick to glass.

Well dang.....Woodland direct (where I copied my info for my spreadsheet when I was comparing inserts) lists it as 15 and some change......:confused:

See that is why this site, and actual users are great.

Is that insert as good as everyone says it is? What size house is that insert heating? Do you really think it will heat the 2700 they claim in a climate like yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.