Insert recommendation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Swamp_Yankee

Oct 18, 2018
Hunterdon County, NJ
We've been in our house for a little over two years now and have thoroughly enjoyed our fireplace:

Insert recommendation?

However, I'd like to be able to use it for more than just ambiance, but rather to heat our 1880s farmhouse. Truth be told though I don't like the looks of most inserts. One of the things I really don't like is how small most of them are in relation to the actual fireplace opening, which necessitates what I refer to as "filler panels" on the top and sides. At the same time, I realize that a firebox as large as the fireplace opening would probably not be feasible. That said, something like this (Montlake 230) is close to what I would be looking for. I also like the fact that it protrudes from the fireplace opening and has a "shelf" where a kettle can be placed, etc...

Insert recommendation?

Some specs on the fireplace:

Opening - 45" x 29"
Hearth Depth - 18.5"
Firebox Depth - 25"

Looking forward to some recommendations. *EDIT* Some specs on the house as well: 2600 SF total-1st floor is 1880s construction, somewhat drafty, 2nd floor is 1998 addition and much tighter. Heat is via oil fired hydronic baseboard. Fireplace is situated in a 15' x 20' room and first floor is mostly open layout.

Last edited:
Yours is big enough to put a rear venting freestander in it. You dont have to limit yourself to inserts.

Yours is big enough to put a rear venting freestander in it. You dont have to limit yourself to inserts.

Definitely consider weatherguy’s recommendation. I went the insert route and regret not going for the free standing instead.

Definitely consider weatherguy’s recommendation. I went the insert route and regret not going for the free standing instead.

Thanks-this is not something I had considered previously because I assumed that I didn't have enough overhead clearance. So basically I would need to look at stoves that have a horizontal vent exiting the rear (rather than the top) that don't sit higher than 29"? Any other special considerations? This would be a plus in my eyes as I could clean up the firebox masonry so that it makes a nice backdrop against the stove and I'd also have plenty of room on top for a trivet/kettle, etc... Will I also get more heat out of the unit this way rather than it getting lost in the thermal mass of the stone and brick?

This guy put an Englander 30-NC into a fireplace about the same size as mine but it looks as though he hasn't posted in about two years. The last posts he put up were about mitigating a heat issue on the mantle overhead and it looks as though I would have the same issue. I am partial to Englander stoves as I ran a 28-3500 add-on furnace in my old house for years and loved it. We brought it with us and it is sitting in the basement unused (no ductwork in the current house)-if I ever get my barn sealed up properly I will put it in there. One last note-I have about 28 feet of used Class A chimney from the 28-3500 also sitting in the basement. Any reason I couldn't use this in my existing masonry chimney for a freestanding stove install?

I was able to use a short leg kit and top vent. my opening
29” high. You have lots of choices. Clearance to the combustible mantle should be noted for your choices. My stove manual says 25”, an insert I was looking at says 22”.
It looks like you have a large hearth and a stove could sit outside the fireplace with a rear vent. I needed 16” of ember protection out in front of the stove and I didn’t want to add any to the floor so that is one reason the stove is set so far back in my fireplace.
I didn’t like the surrounds that most inserts offered so I went with a stove instead.

evan

Attachments

• Insert recommendation?
    7C07A808-58D1-43BA-8CC8-60EA0AB9A7A2.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: Swamp_Yankee
I was able to use a short leg kit and top vent. my opening
29” high. You have lots of choices. Clearance to the combustible mantle should be noted for your choices. My stove manual says 25”, an insert I was looking at says 22”.
It looks like you have a large hearth and a stove could sit outside the fireplace with a rear vent. I needed 16” of ember protection out in front of the stove and I didn’t want to add any to the floor so that is one reason the stove is set so far back in my fireplace.
I didn’t like the surrounds that most inserts offered so I went with a stove instead.

Looks good! I'm thinking this may definitely be the route for me. I have 18.5" from the mouth of the fireplace to the edge of the hearth, so I too would want to recess the stove into the fireplace. It will make the flue a bit tricky but hopefully not too bad.

Your first question to answer is what size insulated liner you can fit down the chimney.

If you can get an 8" liner (probably ~9.25" diameter) down the chimney, you will be able to consider larger stoves that may be better equipped to heat a big drafty house.

Bear in mind that while a freestanding stove is generally superior to an insert, a freestanding stove inside an exterior-wall fireplace may be significantly worse than an insert in the same fireplace, as much of its heat is lost to the outdoors.

Reactions: blacktail
My installer took out complete damper assembly, frame and damper and knocked the top row if fire brick out and reset them back a bit to get the liner further to the back of the fireplace.

it has its drawbacks I need a blower sitting behind the stove blowing up to run the stove hard. Heat output isn’t as good as if it were further out. I have an interior chimney so I’m not losing heat through the masonry. It looks like your could be an exterior chimney. if I were to do over I would insist that they install a blockoff plate. My heating demands aren’t very high so all the negatives are not deal breakers.