Insert into old mason chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanAK

Sep 20, 2011
Southeast Alaska
I have a blaze king princess insert on the way. So i decided to look at the chimney.

The metal firebox is from the mid 60s. So it was all rusted away. So I took the whole thing out. Which was a pain in the butt. So now its just brick. with no metal firebox.
Do you have to have a metal firebox inplace before you put in the insert? OR can i just slide the insert in the hole. Which is my current plan.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Insert into old mason chimney
    Photo on 9-22-11 at 9.17 AM.webp
    15 KB · Views: 433
  • [Hearth.com] Insert into old mason chimney
    Photo on 9-22-11 at 9.16 AM.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 422
RyanAK said:
Do you have to have a metal firebox inplace before you put in the insert?

The short answer is no. The long answer is; it depends. Unfortunately someone with more knowledge than I will need to answer this. The first pic you posted is strange as it looks like there is a brick wall behind the brick wall. Maybe it's just the photo.

From what I understand u can only put a insert into a fireplace that is in working order. :ahhh:

An insert is not going to work. But, that looks like a tall opening. Can you fit a free-standing stove in there?

You got some funky business going on. Have a sweep check it out.

Were you planning on a full re-line?

I asked the guy at blaze king help line. He didn't see a problem as long as no combustibles were in the fire place area. Which is clear of wood and insulation. So it should be ok. It'll be around 28 inches from the nearest wood.

New ss liner into a clay-lined chimney is good news. That space in between the two layes of bricks looks like a heat disperal chamber (I just made that up. Its mine) like a heatilator or something of the sort. I'd brick it up so the old fire chamber is continuous to the front as the insert will have a blower on it. I don't know what kind of clearance the Princess will need but an insert is effectively already a metal box inside a metal box.

Does it seem that the original fireplace was modified for the metal insert?

Looks like you have what I have in another fireplace in my house also built in the 60's. It's a heatilator, basically a metal box like an insert in a masonry fireplace with an air space behind and on the sides. The air space is supposed to heat up and send the warm air out of side vents coming from the brick hence the "double" wall. I am seeing 2 side vents on each side right?

Getting the old unit out is supposed to be the hard part. As long as the brick behind is intact and mortared up good I think you are in the clear.

Agree you should have someone look at it to make sure your clearances are good since there is no fire brick so only single wall masonry will be left once the metal box is out (unless I'm mistaken :cheese: ).

Two vents on each side. I was figuring thats why it was built like that.

Taking the old metal liner out was a chore. The bottom is lined with fire brick. Thats what the pile of bricks is. I had to take em out to slide out the old fireplace. Well slide isn't the word for it. But the walls are just single bricks. Maybe ill close up the back section of the "heatilator" The front ones seems useful. But i guess with the blower all the hot air will be coming out the front anyway.

The clearances seem to be fine. Its a big hole. But ill keep poking around till I can find something.

RyanAK said:
Two vents on each side. I was figuring thats why it was built like that.

Taking the old metal liner out was a chore. The bottom is lined with fire brick. Thats what the pile of bricks is. I had to take em out to slide out the old fireplace. Well slide isn't the word for it. But the walls are just single bricks. Maybe ill close up the back section of the "heatilator" The front ones seems useful. But i guess with the blower all the hot air will be coming out the front anyway.

The clearances seem to be fine. Its a big hole. But ill keep poking around till I can find something.

That's it, looks just like mine. The metal box also has an integrated damper right? Any way My sweep told me he burnt 2 sawsalls and 15 blades removing a heatilator so you're ahead of the game now.

The clearances that I would want to check out would be the framing etc touching remaining brick not the mantle and things outside the box. The potential issue I see is that in a "typical" insert situation you are installing in a fireplace with a fire brick box and then the outer brick giving a double brick wall. So any wall or floor framing don't get exposed to high heat when putting in the new insert.

In this case the metal heatilator was the first wall which is now gone. The new insert will be hot and any holes in the masonry or wood touching the single brick might be iffy if insert wall will be close to remaining brick.

Just being extra cautious and I'm not an expert, maybe some others with more expertise could weigh in?

I pulled my rusty heatform out of my fireplace, had a mason do a little brick work and installed a hearth stove with full insulated liner. Turned out great, have it in my avatar. Biggest thing I was worried about was if the metal heatform was supporting the chimney but it wasn't.

Kinda looked like this ?

[Hearth.com] Insert into old mason chimney

Yeah thats what it looks like. Did you put an insert in there?

I feel pretty comfortable putting it in there. I believe the the 15 blade deal. ha. Ill keep updating as I go. It won't be here till monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.