Insert, free standing and a double flue chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hotrodjohn71

Nov 7, 2017
fair oaks ca
Hi group. I have a question. I have a single level home. It is made of cinder block as they did around here in 1950. The chimney actually has 2 flues. 2 separate flues going uo to the top. Years ago we installed a fireplace insert by 'Country' which utilized one of the 2 flues with a stainless steel oval chimney pipe running through one of the 2 flues. We have added a room on the wall that was exterior for the chimney so the chimney is totall y indoors now. My question is this. Can I utilize that second flue for a free standing wood burning stove on the opposite side wall of the Exhisting insert if I punch a hole in the fomerly exterior chimney wall for the pipe?
Thanks

Sure