Indoor Wood Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

emsflyer84

Sep 12, 2011
Central NH
Hey all, I'm starting to shop for an indoor firewood rack to keep by my stove so I can keep a full day or two of wood inside and not need to trek outside everytime I need to add wood to the stove. Does anyone have any recommendations in this regard? I can go up to 4' in width but no other size restrictions really. I was originally thinking of putting a tray under the rack to catch all the crap coming off the wood as it's being stacked in there, but maybe easier to leave the floor open to sweep out underneath. Anyway, this is only my third season with the stove so I'm still learning the ropes. Thanks!

I use this, 30" wide. Cheap, each square holds a (slightly small) load.
[Hearth.com] Indoor Wood Storage

Reactions: emsflyer84
I use a wood dolly/cart. Load it up and set it within arms reach of the stove. May not be the prettiest thing to look at, but less handling of wood.

Any blacksmiths in your area? Have one made that will fit exactly how you want it and look like you want it to look

Reactions: johneh
^^That.

That was the reasoning for my 4-square Ikea thing mentioned above as well. I have 1 square with some soft wood (pine etc. and some uglies in case I need to extend a burn a few hours before the daily evening reload), and other squares with about 1 load each, allowing them to get to a nice toasty 80+ F for 48-72 hours before it gets loaded.

6-8" red oak splits at <17% and conditioned in this way doesn't even need kindling... I can light it (with a torch) just stacking the box full and directing the flame between two appropriately separated (1/2-3/4") splits on top.
Now of course when I light the stove the basement is no longer 80+F, but I've lit the stove with wood that has been there for 2 days when it was burning, then it cools down to 65-70 F with the stove off, and it just goes.

^^That, is one more way to make burning easy and clean. (Though some sweeping/vacuuming is sometimes needed below the rack.)

WOW! People like to spend money a lot more than I do. A few pieces of lumber and I made a simple rack for the wood indoors. Before that we kept it in milk crates.

Reactions: clancey
I didn't spend anything... Took it from the side of the road...

Reactions: Itslay90
WOW! People like to spend money a lot more than I do. A few pieces of lumber and I made a simple rack for the wood indoors. Before that we kept it in milk crates.
Mine was about 20 bucks and after building a house last summer I was good on projects for a while. But I'll make sure to get your scout merit badge in the mail.

I like milk crates for kindling and shorties. Good airflow and easily stacks. I have them stacked and on shelves in a tiny store room opening under the garage.

And this for a cabin feel.