I'm cold. and mad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A totally seized blower can also destroy a triac, likely it will be fine but don't be surprised.

what is a triac?

Part on a control board. Usually used to control the speed of a motor.

bbfarm said:
what is a triac?

A triac is an electronic component used to control AC loads such as motors and light bulbs. They are the part on a control board that fails when a motor locks up and draws too many amps. It amazes me that the stove makers don't add a simple inline fuse to the fan and auger circuits, but then they couldn't sell us over priced control boards designed around 1980's technology. I mean really, for $300+ I can buy a nice smart phone, what is so complicated about a pellet stove controller?

So what would happen if I installed an inline fuse on the wiring when I put it back together?

bbfarm said:
So what would happen if I installed an inline fuse on the wiring when I put it back together?

Not much, might save the cost of a new control board next time the fan locks up. I would say a 3 or 4 amp fuse would be big enough, any bigger and you probably aren't accomplishing much. The triacs are rated anywhere from 4 amp to 8 amp depending on the design. You may be able to find a fuse holder at an automotive store that crimps onto the wire like a tap splice, otherwise just crimp a male quick disconnect on one end and a female on the other if that is what your blower uses and put it between the fan and controller.

I have some of those inline fuses laying around. I will have to check the amps on them.

If it would save a control board.....

We are here to help anytime... My afton bay heats like a champ, easy to clean and i can run it 2-3 weeks without cleaning....

bbfarm said:
I declare Woodsman23 the afton bay god!

We took out the exhaust fan and tested it like he said and nothing but humming and trying to move. It would only spin about 1/4 turn with finger.

I will call and order one tomorrow.

everyone on this site rocks! I have learned so much!

How bad were the bearings in the old blower? Much side to side slop?

Did you try and put SAE 20 (3-n-1 oil Blue can) in the oil ports? Or if no oil ports? Did you try and put some on the bearing itself (or drip onto bearing)?

Spin, oil, repeat... Spin, oil, repeat..... If the bearings were dry and not worn out. You may get some life out of it. Forum member Arnash has a very early serial # Whitefield and his.Combustion blower was almost seized up last year. Just a little oil and he was back in business. Original motor too (which means its prob old enough to drink).

Anyways. Its just a thought. It may be shot. It may not. Wont know until you try. I know you said this stove was your Main heat source.

I am keeping the old motor and will tear it down and clean and oil it just to keep as a spare. It doesn't seem seized up, just really gunky.

side note: stove is all fixed and cranking heat! Thanks everyone!

I took photos of the old motor, will have to post them. I wish there was a way to not have to dink with the photo size to post.

You could put them on Photobucket, then link to it in your post.

I'm cold.  and mad

Nothing like going from Cold and mad to Warm and Happy!! Congratulations....another Hearth.com success story!!

It's probably actually a good thing that your pellet stove didn't start if the combustion fan had seized up.

Yes it's a good thing. That's why the vacuum switch is there, and it did its job.

Status
Not open for further replies.