If you are familiar with or have been shopping for a Jotul...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mom25kiddles

Jul 26, 2018
I would like some help with a fair price for a lightly used Jotul wood stove. My friend would like to sell me his Jotul that has been sitting in his garage for the last 2 years since selling the home he had it installed in. It is the larger Jotul, probably about 5-6 years old, black ceramic with the side load door in addition to the glass front door. We already have the pipe so only the stove itself. It is clean and in almost perfect condition.

He is a chronic *de-valuer* ;) of himself, especially with friends. He said "Oh, I don't know... used wood stoves don't sell for much... how about $600?". That seems very low to me and I want to be fair and not take advantage of his generosity. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you very much.

It would depend on the model and the actual finish on the stove. And it would certainly depend on whether the stove had any cracks. This can happen to a relatively new stove if the ash pan door is frequently used to supply excess air for starting a fire in a cold stove.

If the stove is in great shape and 5yrs old then estimated pricing would be about 50% of it's new value at the time of purchase. Some rough guesstimates:
F500 - $1000
F600 - $1200
Maybe add up to $200 if the stove is enameled and the enamel is in perfect condition.

Check the UL label on the back of the stove for model and manufacture date. The F500 has the side door on the left, the larger F600 has the side door on the right.

$600 for an enameled F500 or F600 in great condition with no cracks, as begreen advised you to check for, would be a "smokin" deal.