Identify this wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NateH

Nov 19, 2013
Pennsylvania
Got some of this on the side of the road a bit ago. At first I thought maple but that bark looks odd to me.

Attachments

• Identify this wood
    E93288A2-95C2-44D4-84E1-47CA5374D874.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 311
  • Identify this wood
    42425179-DD6B-4E4C-B6C1-081D6A85D17B.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 294
Reactions: D8Chumley
Beech.
Excellent find

Reactions: Alpine1
Definitely beech. Lucky man! Grab all you can.

Beech. Probably my favorite wood to burn. It will work out a splitter though. Green beech can be very difficult to split.

It split up pretty nice for me so far. I’m going to try to get more this week, it sat for quite a while before I grabbed what I got.

I should have known it was beech. Although this is the first time I ever got any beech. I’m running out of room in my yard.

In two years you will enjoy the heat.

I would've guessed beech as well, but sometimes yes it does look maple-ish. I've never cut and split my own beech, only ever gotten it mixed in with some purchased wood, so I'm not all too familiar with it. But the bark was identical to that.

Where I live, beech is considered the best firewood available. In the flats of the river Po valley, where beech is absent, black locust and red oak are the preferred firewood. Common Hornbeam is highly regarded as stove fuel too.

Edit: be advised that beech (and birch) share the same shortcoming: cut, split and stack as soon as possible, both have an unpleasant tendency to rot lightining fast if left in the woods or on the ground.

Last edited: