Ideas for my interior chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dano25

Dec 31, 2017
Spartanburg SC
Hey guys I have been piecing this plan together little by little and it seems every time I have a better and safer plan I run into a snag.

I have a sweet flex liner kit 6” coming next week which I feel comfortable installing.

I have not nailed down a stove yet. Mainly because I keep wrestling with my firebox, hearth, mantle, combustibles, etc.

I know I don’t want to build up a hearth, and I know I want a free standing stove. I would love to safely utilize this 35.5” hearth (back of firebox to edge of hearth)

One thing that seems to be a common issue with my setup is stove pipe length. Is there a requirement for inches of stove pipe before it ties into flex?

Another thing that keeps coming up is clearance to non combustibles on either side so stove can radiate the heat. The hi flame small stoves say they recommend 6” on either side, 12” on the top, and 3” in the back.

Home is 1300sq.

Attachments

• Ideas for my interior chimney
    1F147A6A-56D3-4441-B341-4851698F6692.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 186
Here is the latest it’s really a blank canvas now.

Stove recommendations with large viewing glass. I do like to clean look that a lot of the European styles have.

6” diameter flex line coming this week
Ideas for my interior chimney

Last edited by a moderator:
How wide is that? A lot of rear vent stoves would fit nicely in there, any of the woodstocks, if you have the room, Jotul's also rear vent. I was thinking the newer Woodstock steel stove since you have 1300 sf.

Need full dimensions including depth. Will the lintel be restored and if so at what height?

Rough opening about 25” wide
Lintel will be at 35” high
Depth of 8.5”
Hearth then extends out 27”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The width of the stove will be an important factor as will a stove with the flue connection close to the back of the stove. Some flue connections on some stoves are a bit inboard and then if the stove has a blower that adds more depth at the rear of the stove. Is there any style stove in particular that you are fond of?

I like the Englander 17vl

Just a little worried about the sharp turn I’d have to make to go up the chimney

The 17VL has a small firebox and it's a bit tall for that space. You'll want to give yourself sufficient wiggle room for running to the liner to the flue connection. How large an area will the stove be heating?

This is a very shallow fireplace.The 17VL depth does help here. There are some cast iron stove of similar capacity and depth like the Jotul F3CB that are shorter.

What does it mean when you quote someone? I’m new to this lol. Also do you think I should go after a top vent or rear?

Nothing. Quoting just makes it clearer about what one is responding to.

Definitely top vent for this location.

How well is your house insulated, I suppose it has to be decently insulated for high summer temps when running the ac?
1300sq, the 17vl will work since your located pretty far south on the north side of S. Carolina, the main issue will be fire box size, you will have to use smaller splits and you will only get about a max 3-5 hr burn time.
The main issue like BG mentioned is how are you planning on tying in the stove, the 17vl is about 32" in height and fairly shallow, so you may need to set it as far into the fire box of your fire place as you can and you will need to have a flex liner mount to a 45deg stainless steel adapter to get the right bend, but even then that might be cutting it close. but the three nice things are, you can automatically keep your hearth as is because you will have your 18" in front of the loading door, the stove is ember protection only and it is jacketed so its more conductive than radiant, with using the blower your wont have an issue throwing heat into the room.
With the liner, you will want to have it pre-insulated, unless you can guarantee that the chimney is built to spec with 2" clearances from anything combustible (air space around brick masonry, look in the attic) unless you have 8' minimum solid masonry (highly unlikely)

Wow all good points thanks so much. I don’t have my heart set on the Englander.

My house is not well insulated. Old single pain windows and lots of them. We may be putting on an addition.

I really want an easy hookup so like BG was saying maybe a shorter stouter stove would work better.

I am using the pour liner because I’m fitting 6” pipe down 7x7 terra cotta.

I’m just trying to find a good stove that sits low.

I’m just trying to find a good stove that sits low.
wood stock brand, jotul brand.. both have smaller rear mount models

What’s the deal with Vermont Castings. I see a lot of cons and not so many pro’s

VC's while awesome looking have a bad rep here, supposedly another newer parent company bought out this line and maybe made some design adjustments, its truly unknown at this time whether these design changes a great enough to bring this product back up to what it use to be. The main issues with vc was that they kept the old castings of the stoves but tried to reengineer them to meet the epa clean burn rules, the failure rate of parts after a few seasons were enormous, and the expense w/ labor tarnished the name, but like I stated earlier, a new company bought the rights to these stoves and have made some design changes with the internals, its just to early to tell if they will last, or if they break down, whether it will be a simple cheap easy fix

Okay so would a 2012 model still be a question mark (Vermont Castings CDW244 Efficiency Cast Iron Stove)

Okay so would a 2012 model still be a question mark (Vermont Castings CDW244 Efficiency Cast Iron Stove)

Yup that's the middle year of bad stoves, I'd avoid VC until these units are time tested

10-4. Kenny I don’t want to spend $700+ so you know of like a ford or dodge comparison instead of like a Denali or Cadillac.