Ideal Steel rear exit - an OK option?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qyota

Dec 8, 2014
northern mn
So as I get closer to actually installing my new Woodstock IS that has been parked in my basement for several months, I'm considering using the rear exit instead of the top exit. I'm guessing the top exit is the better choice in terms of draft, but given they designed a rear exit option, how different might it be? I'm thinking my installation will be simpler, and I'll have just one 90-degree turn to make, then straight up the 20+ foot chimney, rather than the 2-turns I'd have to make coming out the top (both could be 45s if I had the headroom, but I don't think I do).

Any thoughts on rear versus top exit on this stove? Thanks.

If the chimney is of sufficient height for good draft and the horiz. run is kept short, then it should work fine. The downside is that the thimble height is locked into the stove's flue collar height, but for some this is an acceptable compromise. If possible, have the horiz. run pitched upward toward the chimney 1/4"/ foot.

If you make the 90 a T, you can clean the flue from the bottom.

Can you describe your setup a little? I'm not understanding how a 90 out the back and then vertical would simplify things.

Here's the current setup. The reason I'm considering the rear exit is being able to just run a ~15" or so horizontal run, then 90 up toward the chimney. Versus two 45s off the top, which I may not have room for. The chimney is open to the bottom, but I do have a Tee I could use.

DVL 90 elbow says it's not recommended for rear-exit setups. I wonder why? I suppose they want you to use the Tee for the turn.

Last edited:
Mine is in a fireplace and vents rear, through a tee... easier to clean, no problems with draft.

Thanks branchburner. I've decided to just wait until I can get the stove positioned (need tile on the floor at the very least), then do a bunch of measuring to see which will work best. It's nice to know that your rear-exit setup works well in terms of draft!

Woodstock wouldn't provide both top and rear if exits if both options were not excellent performers. Don't worry about the stove. Instead, worry about getting the best chimney system that you can since the chimney is what drives the system. The best chimney is all vertical. Every bend and length of pipe that is not vertical subtracts from the chimney's goodness.

Woodstock wouldn't provide both top and rear if exits if both options were not excellent performers. Don't worry about the stove. Instead, worry about getting the best chimney system that you can since the chimney is what drives the system. The best chimney is all vertical. Every bend and length of pipe that is not vertical subtracts from the chimney's goodness.
Yes you are right but by going rear exit you are inherently putting in a 90

Yes you are right but by going rear exit you are inherently putting in a 90

Of course, but you seem to have misunderstood. I said that the best chimney is ALL vertical. As in, use the top exit and go straight up. As you go away from that by adding bends your system becomes less good. A tee is a bend.

Of course, but you seem to have misunderstood. I said that the best chimney is ALL vertical. As in, use the top exit and go straight up. As you go away from that by adding bends your system becomes less good. A tee is a bend.
Ok sorry I misunderstood. Now if you have to go through the wall a rear exit many times will be better because it can possibly eliminate one of those bends.

Reactions: Highbeam
How much did you spend on your Woodstock IS (if you don't mind saying)?
How much of a wait time to get yours? Thanks!