I was gone for a week and someone used my stove...eeeek

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

So last weekend I had to go away to attend meetings all week. As a surprise, my wife's cousin came t visit us (still here). When he was young he was an outdoor type of guy. His house was heated with wood and he c/s/s all the time

So while I am away my wife is like "he made a fire to warm up the basement" to which I replied " you could just turn on the heaters"....and my heart sank. As the week passed I kind of forgot about it...

So today I light a small fire in my stove and guess what: the bypass was already open. That means the entire fire he had going had the bypass open!!!!!! However, I think he may have tried to use is as a damper in a stove pipe. The primary air was turned down pretty tight, I don't think the fire got out of hand. BUt I still have my doubts.

So here's my question: with a bypass open and the primary air turned down, would the stove simply act as an old school smoke dragon? *crosses fingers*

Thanks!

Andrew

As long as the air was turned down low it should be fine.

Sounds like it's time for a little hand-lettered sign next to the stove....you choose the words.

Yeah the stove is fine.

Cousins-in-law are the worst ever.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Reactions: n3pro
Sounds like it's time for a little hand-lettered sign next to the stove....you choose the words.

ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers!
Das machine control is nicht fur gerfinger-poken und mittengrabben. Oderwise is easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowen fuse, und poppencorken mit spitzensparken.
Der machine is diggen by experten only. Is nicht fur geverken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseenen keepen das cotten picken hands in das pockets, so relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers!
Das machine control is nicht fur gerfinger-poken und mittengrabben. Oderwise is easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowen fuse, und poppencorken mit spitzensparken.
Der machine is diggen by experten only. Is nicht fur geverken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseenen keepen das cotten picken hands in das pockets, so relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

Prob'ly just tryin' to get them blinkenlights goin' so's he could relaxen und watchen

Probably no harm done but Andrew, this is a classic case of what the wife should know! She should know how to run the stove and if she allowed a fire to be built, should explain how to operate the stove. Then she should have followed up; that is, checked on the stove settings.

Wes, it's been a long time since I've seen that or something similar. I love it! Thanks for posting.

Just found one copy I had:
Alles Lookenspeepers: Das computenmachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springwerk, blownfusen, und poppenoorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dumkophen. Das rubbernecken signtseeren keepen der hands in das pockets—relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

My wife likes the heat but has as much interest in learning how to use the stove as I have interest in learning how to braid hair....

I just wish he would have turned on the electric heat! It makes me laugh when people say " I just made a fire to get the dampness out" ( which is what the cousin inlaw said) ..use the damn dehumidifier then! Lol. Hands offfffffffd my stove! And now my car has been lent to him for the week....lol.

Thanks for the reassurance guys....

A

Reactions: ScotO
There is only one person ever allowed to start a fire on my property, be it stove or land, and that's me.

Andrew you might wanna check when you get your car back if the gas cap is on. :-)

Reactions: firebroad
I don't think I could sleep at night if I was out of town and knew someone inexperienced with modern EPA stoves was burning mine..

Andrew you might wanna check when you get your car back if the gas cap is on. :)
Yeah...funny thing is this: my car is a bit older and he has had it for the week. I took it out yesterday and kinda noticed the tranny is slipping slightly. You know, throwing it into gear before coming to a complete stop while it is in reverse, not good for tranny. LOL.
ANd this morning he says "does your car sound like a diesel normally?" :| Sad but it does...SUbaru's are known for piston slap...lol.

Next time I leave I am putting chains around my stove with a padlock.

A

Maybe one of those Boots on wheel of the car also?

LOL. Boot on the car, locks on the woodstove/shed/garage/computer/oven/lawnmower and chainsaw. Good thing I don't have a UTV, ATV or snowmobile.

ANd this morning he says "does your car sound like a diesel normally?" :| Sad but it does...SUbaru's are known for piston slap...lol.

A
As long as he didn't throw Diesel fuel in the tank

When I was a little boy my Uncle Bob taught me a lesson I've lived by ever since. I was at my grandparent's home and my uncle was doing some mechanical work on an older Uncle Pete's car, which was an immaculately kept machine. As he worked I noticed he was being very careful and a had a couple of rags handy so he could wipe every thing clean as he proceeded. I said something to him about it because I had watched him work on other cars and never before saw him being so careful. He said to me, "Uncle Pete keeps his car real clean. When you borrow something from someone or work on something for someone you need to treat the item the same way the owner would treat in himself."

I'd be a lot more willing to lend out my own possessions if more people lived by this rule. Unfortunately, the times I've lent things to other people they have sometimes returned the item in worse shape than when they borrowed it. Since this irks me off I am pretty particular about who I lend things to. Things that I particularly hold dear ( Like my 350Z sports car) are not lent out to anybody! Things I care a bit less about I might lend to certain people, but when I do I take the time to explain to them how particular I am and ask them if they will take care of the item as well as I do? If they don't understand that I am serious then I don't lend the item to them. I tell them our friendship (if we have one) is too important to me to risk it over item X being damaged, etc.

One thing for sure,, we all know there is a learning curve burning a new stove, so hopefully he hung around and kept an eye on things since he never used your stove before...

Status
Not open for further replies.