I saw a spaceship on my lunch break today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
The shuttle Enterprise is being moved to the Intrepid in NYC today. I took a walk over at lunch.

Reactions: quads
Neat. I read they cut a corner too close and clipped a wing on a railroad bridge abutment. How bad was the damage, was it visible?

Neat. I read they cut a corner too close and clipped a wing on a railroad bridge abutment. How bad was the damage, was it visible?

That figures! How many millions of miles and years of service and then, some clutz on their cell phone......

That figures! How many millions of miles and years of service...

Not all that many, actually. Enterprise was devoted to sub-orbital testing. It was never outfitted with engines or heat shielding tiles. Never left the atmosphere. Rick

ETA: That's a big part of the reason the Smithsonian wanted to swap it out for one with more mission history.

I couldn't see any evidence of damage. I wasn't very close either.

Yeah those things are impressive. I saw Enterprise at the Udvar Hazy center the day before they opened the place up to the public. They gave military aviation folks old and new the run of the place for the day before the opening crowds hit the next day. Probably to keep the canes and walkers from disturbing the opening. ;lol

All I could think staring at it was "Man, that is one huge glider.".

Here's some more crappy cell phone pictures.
The "last flight" from barge to Intrepid was probably during act II of today's matinee.
That is one BMF crane!

Attachments

• I saw a spaceship on my lunch break today!
    0606121311.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 133
    0606121656.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 125
    0606121716.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: GAMMA RAY
when I worked for Grumman, I worked in plant 5. The shuttle wings were built in plant 5, they were huge. they were built standing up as if they were on the shuttle. when they would lay them down all the leftovers would fall inside and rattle and bump around. they would then spend the next weeks cleaning them out, thoroughly.......... one of the first F-14's was lost because of a nut falling into the control stick and jamming it......... FOD very bad. the wings would then be shipped by barge to Cali. where they were attached to the shuttle. they would have to shut down the LIE at 2 in the morning to ship them by truck, laying flat, fron Bethpage to the east end of LI

Can't wait to take the kids to the Intrepid to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.