I need help in finding some pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter

Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2007
Please. :)

My house doesn't have fireplace stuff inbuilt in the masonry. (I've already talked a lot about my house in this thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6287/ and there's also a pic of the place where the fireplace is going to be).

This seems to be a little problem - I've been looking around to find pictures of completed fireplaces to get some ideas on how we'll be finishing it off, yet I keep finding only pics where the insert is actually inserted in the wall. Probably that's the way inserts should be... and my insert is more of an 'outsert' so to speak! :lol:

I've browsed the entire gallery here... the way our completed fireplace should look is like the picture I'm going to attach (it's from the gallery), but with an insert fitted inside. Notice how the chimney goes up on the outside through the mantlepiece. The whole thing wouldn't be flush with the wall, but jutting all around.

Do you have any idea where I can find similar pictures?

Thanks!

Attachments

• I need help in finding some pics
    dining-area-fireplace.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 382
Did you also check the Pictures forum?

Go to Google - Images. Type in fireplace and search. You'll get hundreds of ideas.

Attachments

• I need help in finding some pics
    fireplace-chamber.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 353
BeGreen said:

Go to Google - Images. Type in fireplace and search. You'll get hundreds of ideas.

I already did that lol... googled over 16 pages of images! I thought maybe the type of finish I am searching for had a technical name and I could google that.

Thanks anyway, I'll keep trying.

I had a similar question a while back when I was redesigning my hearth. Some of the places I looked were stove manufacturers websites/catalogs. Real Estate For sale listings with fireplaces (and therefore pictures), and google images. A friend of mine had a large fireplace built in their kitchen that appears to be a simliar design to what you're looking for. If you want I can see if they bhave any pictures of it they'd be willing to share?

Starter said:
BeGreen said:

I already did that lol... googled over 16 pages of images! I thought maybe the type of finish I am searching for had a technical name and I could google that.

Thanks anyway, I'll keep trying.

Describe the finish. What is it you're looking for? I have TONS of links bookmarked.

The finish of my house is somewhat classic/rustic. I was looking for something with stone/brick/marble/granite designs. Preferably no wood. We got enough mahogany in the house...

Thanks for your help offer!

Keep in mind that inserts were designed to be placed inside MASONRY or metal fireplaces, not hollow boxes, so they are very dependent on having non-combustible, fireproof materials surrounding them. Make sure you keep a close watch on clearances and the materials used. Has the person that will be building the enclosure done this sort of design before?

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Keep in mind that inserts were designed to be placed inside MASONRY or metal fireplaces, not hollow boxes, so they are very dependent on having non-combustible, fireproof materials surrounding them. Make sure you keep a close watch on clearances and the materials used. Has the person that will be building the enclosure done this sort of design before?

Gooserider

Yes. Practically most inserts in Malta are done this way since few buildings have pre-existing masonry for the insert and chimney.

In my case he's going to make a hole through 3 roofs. On the second and third storey the flue and ducts will be enclosed in hollow thick concrete-like bricks called chimney pots, which can then be enclosed in gypsum or just painted over.
However for now the insert will be installed standing on bricks, and it will be insulated all around... I saw the insulation material, but I'm not sure what it is made of. It looks like foam and is approx 3" thick.

I will be taking photos and putting them here, of the process.

He said that if we wanted his company to build the enclosure with decorative stones etc we would have to wait some month or two for all installation. So we told him to come and put the insert so that we can have it working. We're still undecided whether to have him do the work, later, or whether to do it ourselves. My husband would love to do it himself. That's why I wanted to learn as much as possible about this.

Btw does anyone know how to convert KW to Btu's?

Andre B. said:
Starter said:

1 Kw = 3412 BTU per hour = 56.87 BTU per minute = 0.9478 BTU per second

Thanks, so that means our 16KW stove will be generating 54592 BTU (at maximum fire).

However I'm just curious... we have a 24000 BTU A/C - according to that formula it is 7KW but on the manual it says it's 2000 Watts (ie 2KW)... I'm sorry but I'm terrible at formulae and math workings!

Starter said:
Andre B. said:
Starter said:

1 Kw = 3412 BTU per hour = 56.87 BTU per minute = 0.9478 BTU per second

Thanks, so that means our 16KW stove will be generating 54592 BTU (at maximum fire).

Yep.

However I'm just curious... we have a 24000 BTU A/C - according to that formula it is 7KW but on the manual it says it's 2000 Watts (ie 2KW)... I'm sorry but I'm terrible at formulae and math workings!

The BTU rating for a heat pump (A/C) is the amount of heat that is being pumped from one place to some other place. The watts in the manual is the amount of power it takes to run the pump. It is possible to move 10 to 20 times as much heat energy then the electrical energy you put into the heat pump (A/C) depending on the temperature difference. This is why heat pumps are such an efficient way to heat in some places.

With a stove the heat out comes directly from the fuel (energy) that is going into the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.