I need a stove. Any suggestions. I know you guys see this all the time. Sorry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kurt Huber

Jul 11, 2023
Southeast Minnesota
Ok so Im building a cabin and it’s coming on winter so I better get to finding a stove.
I’ve read so much and never come to a conclusion on what to get.
pour cabin is 20 by 20 with a 15’ lofted ceiling and also a 10 x20 area with only an 8 foot ceiling, it is build on pillars so the floor may be fairly cold although it is insulated.
the cabin is on the MN, IA border.
I will have another heat source but will mainly be heating with wood.
I just don’t know if I should go with a hybrid or a standard stove.
it is important to me to have tight clearances so I don’t need to protect the wall.
we want to be able to view the fire.
we want a quality unit but I’m no rich man so looking for great quality for a fair price.
however the fireplace is the center point and I’d love quality to be proud of.
it seems like burn time would be very important because who wants to come home to a cold house or have to get up at night to stoke the fire, right?
im just stumped no idea what to get and there are no test drives to these things.
any and all recomendations or thoughts would be so much appreciated.
oh and I’m almost positive I want a steel stove, but perhaps cast.
I have read great things about the Kuma stove but the price tag is scaring me for sure. The price is the only thing keeping me back from buying it. Is there any stove out there that will give me the same performance for cheaper?
I love the thought of a jotel but they are kinda high also and don’t know about burn times. These hybrids would be so cool if the burn times are that much better, is this truly the case?
Are the cheaper stoves so close you wouldn’t know the difference.
I know I’m all over the place here, sorry, I’m overwhelmed. But I really need to make a decision.
How about quadrafire? It seems alot of people sell them near me and the price tag is a little better.

Last edited:
For a value stove consider the Drolet Nano or Deco Nano, and maybe the True North TN20.

Will this cabin be used/heated all the time, or will it only be used occasionally, like weekends? Will it be heated when you’re not there or will you be walking into a cabin the same temperature as outside?

How about quadrafire? It seems alot of people sell them near me and the price tag is a little better.
The mid-sized Quadrafire 3100 would be a decent stove if that is what is easiest to get locally.

Which Jotul were you looking at? I have the F45 in a 20x30 cabin in NW Wis that works great. Maybe and F35 would be a good fit. Mine has no problem burning through the night I’m sure the F35 will as well. As stated above Drolet has a great bang for your buck line and I haven’t heard many bad thing about them.

Sorry I forgot my log in credentials.
Im back.
lol
I’m In Ne IA near Decorah which is near LaCrosse.
Im not sure what Jotul would be best for me sounds like the 45.
im very interested in the Kuma stoves, hear they are awesome but was hoping not to spend that much money. Maybe I should look at the Drolet but the 30% tax credit brings the nicer stoves closer to the cheaper to keep me thinking.
I need to do something but burn time is key.
oh we will be walking into a cold cabin often but my plan is to keep the kitchen bathroom area heated slightly all the time.
thanks guys!

Ok, so you have a small cabin that’s going to be cold when you walk in. I’d look for a 2 cu ft stove. A 3 cu ft stove would help with warmup in with those high ceilings, but would then cook you out of the cabin. I’d also be prepared to use other heat sources to help heat the place up. It’ll take a real long time if you’re only using the wood stove.

Ok so I found a 13 year old Quadra Fire in like new condition. I hope it’s a good stove.
Barely used. This model has a step top and an ash box which they don’t offer in the new models.
What do you think of this stove?
Thank you

The mid-sized Quadrafire 3100 would be a decent stove if that is what is easiest to get locally.
So I bought a used 2009 model 3100 with a step top and ash box. This stove was installed in a home and used hardly ever. It’s really like new.
I think it was like an excercise bike someone bought it thinking they would use it but it just sat there.

This stove was removed by a professional wood stove installer he said it was barely used.
Lucky you! The used stoves that I see around here are either old smoke dragons, or in need of a rebuild. If it looks newish, people are often pricing them close enough to new, that you could do better buying new and getting the tax credit!

Ok so I found a 13 year old Quadra Fire in like new condition. I hope it’s a good stove.
Barely used. This model has a step top and an ash box which they don’t offer in the new models.
What do you think of this stove?
Thank you
That should work out well. It was offered in flat-top and step-top models back then. A new one lists for $2229. I think it sold for around $1500 back then. What's he asking for the 14 yr old stove?

Last edited:
That should work out well. It was offered in flat-top and step-top models back then. A new one lists for $2229. I think it sold for around $1500 back then. What's he asking for the 14 yr old stove?
Lol I paid too much. However it is really in new condition hardly burned. Got extra stove seal,and the 2 littlethings for inside, all the high quality stove pipe,classA 6’, double wall for the inside, thermometer, cathedral celing support bracket, chimney cleaner, etc etc for 1600 I know that seems like alot but it really is in new condition so I didn’t complain. It saved me a bunch. Hard to find a good stove at all used that’s for sure. I figure I paid for the whole system what all the piping and accessories would have cost me and it will operate like a new stove to me.

Reactions: brenndatomu