I have an old jotul f 118 and need some resources

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RioPudd

Nov 6, 2020
Boston,ma
Hi, I am new here and was wondering if anyone could point me to some resources, maybe some installation videos. I bought a house and in it was an old Jotul F 118 not set up. I’ve read online the user manuals but found them not helpful in terms of where to buy things and how to set things up.

The stove has the hole where the pipe goes on the side of it and I can’t find any information on what kind of pipe I would need.
Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

Hi, I am new here and was wondering if anyone could point me to some resources, maybe some installation videos. I bought a house and in it was an old Jotul F 118 not set up. I’ve read online the user manuals but found them not helpful in terms of where to buy things and how to set things up.

The stove has the hole where the pipe goes on the side of it and I can’t find any information on what kind of pipe I would need.
Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

Hello, I too have just joined as I purchased a Jotul 118 recently and have been restoring it so I am interested in RioRudd's post. The biggest problem was the bolts holding the panels together that had either rusted in or broken off. I tried to drill a couple out but that was hopeless as the drill would slide off the top of the bolt. By good luck, I found a small independent engineering shop near to the large complex at Nigg Bay here in Scotland which fabricated parts for the oil rigs and is now producing wind turbines for the North Sea. Anyway, he extracted all the screws for me and I've assembled the stove with new ones. `The panels interlock together rather cleverly. There's an exploded diagram on the internet if you do a search and all the panels were numbered on my stove to correspond with that drawing. I think the flange for the flue is a fairly standard diameter and a local stove stockist should be able to fix you up. 5 or 6 inches? The flue can actually enter either at one side or the rear of the stove by swapping those small panels around which, again, are held on with a couple of screws and cement.

A question for those who are familiar with these stoves. I have heard the top cast iron panel can easily be removed and meat or fish smoked on the top plate. Has anyone done it? Sounds fun!

The stove is mostly held together with those screws and washers with fire clay. But the top panel is just sealed with 9mm fibre glass rope presumably so it can be lifted off and meat or fish put in to smoke. Not sure if it is correct, but I have also sealed between the top box and the main body of the stove with this fibre glass rope.

Sadly, someone seems to have taken a wire brush to parts of the green enamel of the stove so these parts are badly scratched and a dull grey. I'm told it is not possible to repolish enamel. Any suggestions? Jeweller's rouge and a felt pad? (Interestingly, the dull discoloration disappeared when the panel was wetted, like stones on a beach. But of course they reappeared when the stove dried).

Hi i did see that exploded view online but it wasnt helpful in terms of the flue/pipe/chimney. My stove is rusted. I was planning on getting a can of that high heat spray paint after taking a wire brush to the rust

Hi i did see that exploded view online but it wasnt helpful in terms of the flue/pipe/chimney. My stove is rusted. I was planning on getting a can of that high heat spray paint after taking a wire brush to the rust

Shot/sand blasting would make a better job. Just measure the flue and tell your stove supplier you need to attach a flue.

Shot/sand blasting would make a better job. Just measure the flue and tell your stove supplier you need to attach a flue.

i dont have a stove supplier, only hardware stores. Do i measure the inside or outside of the hole?

i dont have a stove supplier, only hardware stores. Do i measure the inside or outside of the hole?
View attachment 266547
That is not too bad. Give it a good wire-brushing followed by steel wool. Then vacuum clean and wipe down with a tack rag to remove all dust. Next, wipe down with alcohol using a lint-free cloth. Let dry and then paint with Stove Brite paint. Metallic black looks good on cast iron. It will take 2 cans and 3 light coats.

The outlet is 120mm or about 5". You will need a 5" to 6" (120mm to 150mm) increaser to connect to 6" stove pipe. These are available online. The flue outlet can be exchanged to the rear if desired. There should be a cover plate over the rear exit.

That is not too bad. Give it a good wire-brushing followed by steel wool. Then vacuum clean and wipe down with a tack rag to remove all dust. Next, wipe down with alcohol using a lint-free cloth. Let dry and then paint with Stove Brite paint. Metallic black looks good on cast iron. It will take 2 cans and 3 light coats.

The outlet is 120mm or about 5". You will need a 5" to 6" (120mm to 150mm) increaser to connect to 6" stove pipe. These are available online. The flue outlet can be exchanged to the rear if desired. There should be a cover plate over the rear exit.

thank you, this is very helpful!

thank you, this is very helpful!

hi again, i took a photo with a tape measure. does the pipe go inside or around the outside? would it still be 5"? thank you for your help

Attachments

• I have an old jotul f 118 and need some resources
    IMG_1706.PNG
    780.8 KB · Views: 327
Yes, 5" round with a heavy crimp, or buy the adapter

Amazon product ASIN B000BQ7X12

Last edited:
We purchased a new Jøtul wood stove this year. When it arrived it came with a stove pipe adapter to fit the stove to 6" stove pipe.

My sister gave us her 40 year old Jøtul 118, missing the adapter and the bottom burn plate. Researching this, I found woodmanspartsplus.com. This site has the ability to fabricate the parts you need. There are two sites that have good prices on stove pipe, woodstove-outlet.com has the best prices for single wall stove pipe, and does not sell double-wall stainless exterior chimney pipe. However, menards.com has Supervent double wall chimney at a reasonable cost.

Yes, 5" round with a heavy crimp, or buy the adapter

Amazon product ASIN B000BQ7X12

does this adapter go inside the stove pipe hole or outside it?

Inside.

So i found this crack in the side, is all hope lost? Is there any way of saving it?

Does it go all the way through the casting?. It could be casting flaw, If its an active crack the normal approach is drill it a short distance away from both ends to the crack. Seal the hole with the same refractory you are using to reseal the stove.

Dont even know what refractory is so guess i have to start there. I dont think this stove has any heat shields either. Think there is anyone on this site who I could pay for a facetime stove consult?

Use a 1/8" drill bit and drill a hole about 1/8" past each end of the crack. Fill the hole with stove/furnace cement.

By heat shields, do you mean the inner burn plates? The stove shouldn't be run without them. It may crack the sides.

yeah, this stove was in the garage of a house we bought, so i'm learning that it is missing a few parts. actually a lot of parts, as far as i can tell. seems like the top baffle, two side liners, a pipe adaptor, maybe a side burn plate? i'm going to try craingslist to see if i can find some parts, any other place you recommend?

yeah, this stove was in the garage of a house we bought, so i'm learning that it is missing a few parts. actually a lot of parts, as far as i can tell. seems like the top baffle, two side liners, a pipe adaptor, maybe a side burn plate? i'm going to try craingslist to see if i can find some parts, any other place you recommend?View attachment 270427
Hi, RioPudd.
I recently purchased the F118b and am working toward installing. The part you’re looking for I found at Woodmansparts.com for a total of $73.40 including shipping to MA. The part number is 05-124817. The diagram shows it as #27.
I originally ordered one from Amazon but returned it since it did not fit.
The stove pipe kit I purchased through Home Depot. I am installing mine through the ceiling and needed a ceiling mount kit, insulated chimney pieces and black single wall stove pipe to go from 90 degree stove pipe elbow up to ceiling.
I’ll load up pics of things if you would like.

I have been watching multiple videos on YouTube for install that have been helpful. I think they are your best resources to learn. You’ll need to follow your local permitting requirements for distance from wall etc.
By building a reduction wall of brick or other fire resistant materials you can reduce clearance distances so your Woodstove isn’t in the middle of your room.

Good luck and have fun.

Attachments

FD9A4B0A-51AA-40B4-BF55-3ECAB0BAEA59.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 450
    E4A347B7-7245-4048-ADB0-EFB728B5DDBE.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 344
    F9551C7C-FD00-431E-ABFB-01B3E84B2158.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 358