HPBA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Anyone heading to Dallas for the show? Travis Industries, says that all their stoves will be 2020 compliant by August of this year and all will be certified with cordwood.

Anyone heading to Dallas for the show? Travis Industries, says that all their stoves will be 2020 compliant by August of this year and all will be certified with cordwood.
The allowable particulate is higher for cordwood, correct?

Yes, I think it's 2.5gms/hr.

Not this time, Dallas is a bit too far. A few of the office guys will go though. Kuma and Jotul will have new 2020 hybrid stoves on display.

Not this time, Dallas is a bit too far. A few of the office guys will go though. Kuma and Jotul will have new 2020 hybrid stoves on display.
Not hybrid...Fusion Fire technology!

Maybe the current admin will roll back the regulations. If it keeps going nobody will want to mess with it anymore.

Maybe the current admin will roll back the regulations. If it keeps going nobody will want to mess with it anymore.
We survived phase 1 and most benefited from it. Some stoves have been on the market for a long time and already pass phase 2. There will be better solutions than others but in the end I think we'll be fine.

We survived phase 1 and most benefited from it. Some stoves have been on the market for a long time and already pass phase 2. There will be better solutions than others but in the end I think we'll be fine.
The consumers will be fine. Manufacturers will struggle and retailers will fall one by one... the stoves that do make it through will be different, controllability issues and self destruction is what I expect to see.

This was laid out a long time ago in the clean air act it is nothing new. Manufacturers knew about this coming for many any years.

We’ve got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 stoves to sell by may 2020, and we are a very small store compared to many. I’ve heard of a few store with more that 200 in stock! This part of the NSPS alone will literly kill some retailers with high overhead. More time is needed to sell off these “old” efficient stoves.

The consumers will be fine. Manufacturers will struggle and retailers will fall one by one... the stoves that do make it through will be different, controllability issues and self destruction is what I expect to see.
All of that was said last time and we came out with better stoves. Many on the market already meet the new requirements without the catastrophic results you continue to push.

T
This was laid out a long time ago in the clean air act it is nothing new. Manufacturers knew about this coming for many any years.
Even if they did, retailers are stuck in the middle of this. Each year they are pressured more and more to buy more stock to keep early buy prices low. We’ve almost completely dropped Travis because of, primarily reliability issues, and high pressure for big purchase orders. So now there’s nearly no margin with their products. No one wins.

We’ve got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 stoves to sell by may 2020, and we are a very small store compared to many. I’ve heard of a few store with more that 200 in stock! This part of the NSPS alone will literly kill some retailers with high overhead. More time is needed to sell off these “old” efficient stoves.
Ok so you guys knew this was coming for years right? So why stock up on old stoves knowing that you would have a time frame in which you have to sell them? I don't think that is a problem with the regulation.

All of that was said last time and we came out with better stoves. Many on the market already meet the new requirements without the catastrophic results you continue to push.
This is different, anyone that’s really involved with retail sales can see that..

Ok so you guys knew this was coming for years right? So why stock up on old stoves knowing that you would have a time frame in which you have to sell them? I don't think that is a problem with the regulation.
We didn’t stock up.. we have a retail store with displays. How many of those regencies do you display?

This is different, anyone that’s really involved with retail sales can see that..
How is it different? Were these regulations just sprung on us out of the blue? No I don't think so.

We didn’t stock up.. we have a retail store with displays. How many of those regencies do you display?
We display zero. We are not a retail store and don't want to be. Are you saying you have 50 stoves on display? And that is a small store?

How is it different? Were these regulations just sprung on us out of the blue? No I don't think so.
So, a retail store shouldn’t have any display models just in case the epa decides to enforce? That makes no sense!

So, a retail store shouldn’t have any display models just in case the epa decides to enforce? That makes no sense!
When did I say that? I see the problem being the number of manufacturers who have waited till the last min to roll out their new products.

We display zero. We are not a retail store and don't want to be. Are you saying you have 50 stoves on display? And that is a small store?
Ya, it’s a small store. Have you not visited many hearth stores? 35+ on display and 15- 30 or so in the warehouse at any given moment. Since you aren’t a retailer, then why act like this is no big deal? It is a big deal for lots of folks.

When did I say that? I see the problem being the number of manufacturers who have waited till the last min to roll out their new products.
That’s my point. Retailers are getting screwed here.

Ya, it’s a small store. Have you not visited many hearth stores? 35+ on display and 15- 30 or so in the warehouse at any given moment. Since you aren’t a retailer, then why act like this is no big deal? It is a big deal for lots of folks.
Ok so to protect your buisness from losses sell off the old stock and order smaller numbers or order as needed to replace. Then you will only need to sell off your display models. I mean we sell about 20 stoves a year with no showroom and without really trying to sell stoves. The numbers you are talking about don't sound like a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.