how's your seasoning going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, rough-sawn lumber is definitely an "in" look these days.
My favorite Tom Silva quote: "This piece is a 2 by 4. As the name implies, it's 1-1/2 by 3-1/2."

Reactions: stoveliker
I built a shed that holds 2 seasons worth of wood about 5 years ago, I was late this year in loading up the one side, but I got it done in the beginning of June while it was still pretty dry out, luckily I beat the wet weather pattern that has setup in the area, I think for my area in the MA / NE we are at our 6th wettest July for records, with more rain occurring after that news article.
If your planning on a shed, try to plan on something that hold 2 years worth, so you can alternate, it really helps and is great piece of mind, I split my rounds, stacked one or two years outside, then I'll move them into the shed and they will sit for 18months in an environment that has a roof over it, since building the shed, I've never had an issue with wet firewood, if anything I think sometimes my wood gets to dry, so I now split thicker.

To burn 24/7 in my stove from let's say Sept to May, every year I have estimated that 5 cords of wood should be sufficient, with an additional 4 cords to be available and in a good enough state to burn in the event its needed. These extra ready to go cords generally contain my softwoods and lighter hardwoods like silver maple, red maple, birch, etc. Things I know can dry nicely in a year, and if they aren't needed they sit an additional year and become great shoulder season and warmer daytime temps wood the next year.

Like many here I also aim for the 3-5 year rotation and to do so I am working up to having around 20 cords of wood in the yard. To reach my 20 cords or more goal, I have added another row of 10 ft pallets in my yard that I estimate hold anywhere from 5 to 10 more cords of wood depending on how tall these are stacked. My woodshed will hold 15 cords when its full. The extra wood stacked on pallets are top covered with more remnant roofing tin I had leftover from when I built my main shed.

Reactions: buc74
Has been rainy and humd in NC but not crazy hot like usual. I hope my 2 year oak/hickory stacks are ready. My burn season does not start full swing until mid-November/December so I've got a little while to go. Later this wnter I will be moving my stacks to a sunier location which should help with drying.

Reactions: EbS-P
I suppose it take a while to get through it but will 15 cords actually dry out in a wood shed?
Wood will dry in a wood shed. It needs to be set up property. All of my wood is in sheds and dries really quickly. The shed needs to be vented so wind goes through the shed as well as face the prevailing winds and in full sun. I mostly burn oak and its ready in 18 months. my shed also has a large roof overhang like 22 inchesin the front 10 inches on the back and sides

Going well this year thanks to the dryer weather here. I have 16 cords right now so I'm safely on a 3 year plan burning 3-4 cords a year. This year its all 4 year old red oak with some poplar, cherry, and red pine in the mix for the shoulder season. Now I just need to stay ahead.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Just checked a couple splits of 2 year red oak yesterday and they're at 19-22% after all the rain we've had through July. Hoping to get a solid 2 months of real drying before the cold weather hits. I'll top cover the stacks after a couple more dry days.

We have had a seriously wet spring and summer so far. I haven't seen a rain free week yet and it seems like nothing (including my house) ever gets to fully dry off. I just checked some year and a half old red oak and its at 23-25% Moisture content.

With burning season around the corner I'm a little concerned. Maybe I need a 3 year rotation instead of a two year?
Oak can be a little tricky. It’s been tropical for sure. I’ve gotten nervous in years past if I get readings like that. Honestly, the wood should be ok, and you do have a solid few months of what is usually some bone dry fall weather coming. Probably shave off a couple more percentage points off that wood.
I had a couple months stretch last winter where I was using wood probably in the high 20’s MC. I thought it would be drier and has to get rid of it. Sluggish but still produced decent heat. A bit more smoke out of chimney. I was most thinking about increased buildup in liner but just made it a point to sweep liner more often. I actually didn’t do too bad buildup wise, probably bc I was aware of what I was burning and set the air control accordingly.

Last edited:
usually go thru 2 cord of wood but i have 3 cord to go just incase. this year is 3.5 year oak. around here it does take 3 years of drying to take care of oak. just dropped a standing dead elm and next is a at least 40 foot cherry. that should be my start to the 26/27 firewood.

Reactions: kvesi122