How to use sooteater with a fireplace insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garth_2022

Apr 6, 2022
new york
I have the Regency Hi500. I am interested in the Sooteater, but how does one access the flue from the bottom? I do not see any access to the flue, unless I would image disconnecting the entire unit, but at 500 pounds, I am not going to be moving it. Going from the top down, all the junk it removes is just going to sit at the bottom of the flue on top of the bypass, right? Am I missing something?

I have the Regency Hi500. I am interested in the Sooteater, but how does one access the flue from the bottom? I do not see any access to the flue, unless I would image disconnecting the entire unit, but at 500 pounds, I am not going to be moving it. Going from the top down, all the junk it removes is just going to sit at the bottom of the flue on top of the bypass, right? Am I missing something?
The manual should describe how to disassemble the baffle area to give you access to the liner from inside the insert. No need to move the whole unit. I tried getting the manual online but it took too long to come up. The info you need should be spelled out there.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
I am looking at the manual and really do not see how to remove the baffle, but opening the bypass give no visual access to the flue. It is behind part of it's internal construction.
Is the hi500 the one with the cat in the front top or does the cat move?

Is the hi500 the one with the cat in the front top or does the cat move?
Upfront, above the airtube. Internally it is the same as the Regency i2700.

NOTE: Chimney Cleaning

When cleaning the chimney system the bottom stainless steel shield underneath the bypass door should be removed for ease of cleaning. The catalytic combustor should also be removed so this can also be cleaned at the same time following the guide lines found in this manual.

The bypass should be moved all the way outward so any creosote will fall onto the firebox floor when being cleaned.
We highly recommend that the chimney cleaning be done by a professional as they will have the necessary tools such as a proper sized brush and special vacuum cleaner designed to deal with fine particles.

Reactions: bholler
Upfront, above the airtube. Internally it is the same as the Regency i2700.

NOTE: Chimney Cleaning

When cleaning the chimney system the bottom stainless steel shield underneath the bypass door should be removed for ease of cleaning. The catalytic combustor should also be removed so this can also be cleaned at the same time following the guide lines found in this manual.

The bypass should be moved all the way outward so any creosote will fall onto the firebox floor when being cleaned.
We highly recommend that the chimney cleaning be done by a professional as they will have the necessary tools such as a proper sized brush and special vacuum cleaner designed to deal with fine particles.
I forgot they added a shield under the bypass. Yes that needs to be removed

Catalytic converter or combustor

Do you mean the catalytic? And if so, what do you mean by does it move?
Yes the catalytic combustor. Regency has 2 different lines of hybrids. The pro line which you have where the cat is fixed in the front of the firebox with a bypass in the back. And the cascade line where the cat moves and acts as the bypass

Reactions: garth_2022