How to run chimney pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FrankRade

Sep 19, 2020
kentucky
I recently bought a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore stove. It will be put on first level. It will need to exit the interior wall (straight forward). The complication(s) begin from that point on. Attached are two photos showing the porch, and then the side of the house. Does anyone have any advice on how to run the pipe? Do I have to run it through the porch roof/ceiling and then up the side of the house, or do I run it horizontal along porch (6ft span) then up 4 or 5 ft? Once this is explained, any advice on a specific pipe would be great. Thanks.
How to run chimney pipe? 20200919_085428.jpg

bumping this one for you because it presents an interesting problem.

I am not sure about the best method for this, however I will say, avoid horizontal pipe as much as you possibly can.
When the pipe is at any type of sudden angle, OR if the pipe is horizontal, it reduces draft. If 90 degree bends, or runs of horizontal pipe are unavoidable, you can add more height (the exact amount I will not specify, refer to chimney installation instructions!) to the vertical part of the chimney to increase draft.

Is it possible for you to go straight up through your house and out the roof?
Does anyone know if it is safe or possible to go through an awning roof like that, after going through the wall?

I personally don't see a safety issue from my limited experience, but it will definitely increase the cost of installation. You will also need to buy an offset kit for the overhang of the top house roof.

Yes you can go through a porch roof

Reactions: Shrewboy
I'd go through the porch roof then straight up on the side of the house to the bottom of the soffit of the main roof, using (2) 30deg class a elbows go around the soffit then straight up and support the top of the pipe with a roof bracket.
See Ben, I can work for you lol!

Others will have more specific advice about how to rout it, but just to clear up some terminology once it leaves the stove room you need to be looking at *chimney pipe* not stovepipe. They are different things. You can get a variety of support boxes and fittings that will allow it to pass through a roof or side wall. However, as the previous poster mentioned, the ideal way to go is straight up and out the main roof if possible. Exterior pipe will get cold and hurt your draft in addition to the extra bends so you want to keep it inside as much as possible.

Reactions: Shrewboy