How to clean glass and can't get low temp on Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are you loading E/W or N/S? If N/S, how long are the pieces? Near glass? Using smaller size (diameter) to fill stove creates more space for air circulation. But it will shorten burn times due to added surface area.

I have tried both directions and placing at back and front. Logs generally are about 16inch and maybe 8inch diameter cut into four or just half. I use mostly pine, very dry.

I appreciate all the input guys. I saw my friends Princess BK today. Their cat setting is just over half way and the glass is soooo clean. Their unit does not feel overly hot either. Even when I place my hand on the back it is barely warm and no fan running.
I have noticed if I use this setting on mine, the glass is still gunked up and the back of the stove where you can install the fans is bloody hot. Also the drywall I feel is too warm. If I ever let it run too long at that setting or higher it will destroy the wall. Yes it is installed correctly. Blaze King is a dead loss at solving this issue and has not replied at all.
Unless I run with the cat dial open over half way, I don't see a glow to the cat. Does this mean the cat has stalled?

Sorry to be a pain guys, but this is getting dangerous and frustrating.
Many thanks to you all.
Andy

If you run the stove on high and the wall gets dangerously hot, it is not installed correctly. 16 3/8" is required behind the stove. I would say that there could be an issue with the stove, but I can't imagine what would cause just the rear to be blazingly hot on low heat. Missing firebrick could maybe contribute. @Ashful ? (He has 2 of your stove burning in his house.)

Please post us some pictures of the install, and the stove inside and out.

I would say your gunky glass sounds very much like a difference in wood moisture. From what I gather, the Princess will have dirtier glass than your stove burning the same fuel on low settings. That is not a serious problem though, and the hot rear wall is. We can troubleshoot the glass after the hot wall.

Don't worry about the cat glowing or not. If the thermometer says active, it is.

Haven't read all the posts but to clean glass I just use ash from the fire box with wet/damp paper towel for first pass then wet towel to get clean of ash and follow up with dry paper towel. It did not work perfectly at first but the more I use it now it only takes me a minute to clean my glass every 4 or 5 days. I used the stuff you get at Home Depot that cleans glass I think it's called Vermont glass cleaner. I still have some but don't use it anymore. Don't give up just keep using the ash from the Firebox a damp paper towel at first wipe off then with a wet paper towel and then follow up with a dry paper towel.

Thanks I will give that method a try and let you know.

Oh I see. I thought it was when you did not see the cat glowing. Cheers!

Nope, the cat is reburning the exhaust at 500°+. It doesn't glow until ~1000°, and you shouldn't run it over 1500°, so a full 1/3 of its operational range doesn't glow. That is the 1/3 it is in most of the time for full-time burners.

We need photos and more information to help with your hot wall.

I just got a BK AF30 as well and trying to figure it out (see my other thread). Mine won't go below 3/4 without letting out creosote smell and coating the screen. I just ran it on high all day for another curing burn and it very quickly cleans off the screen. It needs 1/2 a full load left at high temp range about 30-45min. I just opened the windows that warmer day. Above 3/4 setting it does not make creosote.

For me it's a draft problem. Check the manual about the recommended flue length. It's 15ft +2ft/90, +3ft/tee and +2ft/1ft horiz run. I have a wall exit and it wants 25ft vertical rise. I only have 22ft.

If you don't want it too hot, leave the air above 3/4 but load it with 3-5 logs and wait for it to cool into low range before reloading. Not great burn time but keeps it clean.

My drywall gets pretty warm as well but never too hot to touch. I see no discoloration or anything. Did you get a temp gun and measure the wall?

Last edited:
Drywall behind the stove? And close?
Nope, the cat is reburning the exhaust at 500°+. It doesn't glow until ~1000°, and you shouldn't run it over 1500°, so a full 1/3 of its operational range doesn't glow. That is the 1/3 it is in most of the time for full-time burners.

We need photos and more information to help with your hot wall.

Thanks I will work on that and get temp readings. I had a thought. Is it possible my overall flue height is too short? As far as I can measure the height is about 15-16 ft. It has a fresh air intake. My flue has a 45 degree bend,a 2ft horizontal, a "T" and one or two 15 degree offsets. I think my overall height should be about another 8ft according to the manual. If this is the case, is it possible that is why the back of my stove is so hot, too hot to touch. As mentioned previously my friend has a Princess BK, a straight up flue and the back of his stove you can keep your hand on all day. Supper clean glass also.

I just got a BK AF30 as well and trying to figure it out (see my other thread). Mine won't go below 3/4 without letting out creosote smell and coating the screen. I just ran it on high all day for another curing burn and it very quickly cleans off the screen. It needs 1/2 a full load left at high temp range about 30-45min. I just opened the windows that warmer day. Above 3/4 setting it does not make creosote.

For me it's a draft problem. Check the manual about the recommended flue length. It's 15ft +2ft/90, +3ft/tee and +2ft/1ft horiz run. I have a wall exit and it wants 25ft vertical rise. I only have 22ft.

If you don't want it too hot, leave the air above 3/4 but load it with 3-5 logs and wait for it to cool into low range before reloading. Not great burn time but keeps it clean.

My drywall gets pretty warm as well but never too hot to touch. I see no discoloration or anything.

Sounds correct to me.
I had a thought. Is it possible my overall flue height is too short? As far as I can measure the height is about 15-16 ft. It has a fresh air intake. My flue has a 45 degree bend,a 2ft horizontal, a "T" and one or two 15 degree offsets. I think my overall height should be about another 8ft according to the manual. If this is the case, is it possible that is why the back of my stove is so hot, too hot to touch. As mentioned previously my friend has a Princess BK, a straight up flue and the back of his stove you can keep your hand on all day. Supper clean glass also.

If you run the stove on high and the wall gets dangerously hot, it is not installed correctly. 16 3/8" is required behind the stove. I would say that there could be an issue with the stove, but I can't imagine what would cause just the rear to be blazingly hot on low heat. Missing firebrick could maybe contribute. @Ashful ? (He has 2 of your stove burning in his house.)

Please post us some pictures of the install, and the stove inside and out.

I would say your gunky glass sounds very much like a difference in wood moisture. From what I gather, the Princess will have dirtier glass than your stove burning the same fuel on low settings. That is not a serious problem though, and the hot rear wall is. We can troubleshoot the glass after the hot wall.

Don't worry about the cat glowing or not. If the thermometer says active, it is.

Thanks again I will get photos etc to you. Cheers friend.

Sounds correct to me.
I had a thought. Is it possible my overall flue height is too short? As far as I can measure the height is about 15-16 ft. It has a fresh air intake. My flue has a 45 degree bend,a 2ft horizontal, a "T" and one or two 15 degree offsets. I think my overall height should be about another 8ft according to the manual. If this is the case, is it possible that is why the back of my stove is so hot, too hot to touch. As mentioned previously my friend has a Princess BK, a straight up flue and the back of his stove you can keep your hand on all day. Supper clean glass also.

Way too short! I have the exact same flue setup but I have 19.5ft outside and can't run it below 3/4 setting without issues. Do you get any creosote smell? It's possible the poor draft is creating strange temperature gradients without enough flow through the stove.

Also, the back of my stove is pretty hot as well. Too hot to touch at medium or above.

Last edited:
I wonder if Woodstock style double pane glass would keep the inside hot enough to avoid getting dirty?
Yup. Mine never goes black unlike every other stove I have ever owned. Question for BK owners: my cat (Progress) got clogged with black creosote once as the operator (girlfriend) didn't know how to operate the stove when I was out of town. Once it's clogged, it's clogged with no recovery as it will never take off unless it's taken out and vinegarized. Can a BK do that? I know BK's are great stoves but am unfamiliar with the actual cat design. On my woodstock the cat is metal and looks like a cardboard cat scratch block and could, under the right (wrong) conditions creosote fairly quickly.

Yup. Mine never goes black unlike every other stove I have ever owned. Question for BK owners: my cat (Progress) got clogged with black creosote once as the operator (girlfriend) didn't know how to operate the stove when I was out of town. Once it's clogged, it's clogged with no recovery as it will never take off unless it's taken out and vinegarized. Can a BK do that? I know BK's are great stoves but am unfamiliar with the actual cat design. On my woodstock the cat is metal and looks like a cardboard cat scratch block and could, under the right (wrong) conditions creosote fairly quickly.

In theory yes. In practice I have never heard of this in a BK, and my cats have had some seriously wet wood run through them.

If I were you, I wouldn't write off the cat.

The obvious fix (build campfire, throw cat on top) is probably a bad idea because as the creosote burns the cat will get way too hot.

Did you try just banging it out?

Maybe failing that, I'd make some wooden square dowel stock a bit smaller than the cell size of the cat, and tap it through each cell. Exposing a little catalyst should be enough to get it to burn itself off- but every solution with "burn off" in it is likely to do some amount of harm to the cat.

Perhaps an ultrsasonic cleaner?

Let us know how it works out! We want pictures! :)

Here's an update with a video of me cleaning the glass on my Ravalli rv100c pellet stove that has been running for five days 120 hours 24/7.

If I were you, I wouldn't write off the cat.
No, didn't write it off at all, that happened almost 5 years ago, still running it and it still takes off after proper cleaning/maintenance. And I wouldn't advise using any tool other than a paint brush or light air or a vinegar solution bath.

I don’t know about the “my stove is too hot to touch” stuff. I mean it’s a metal box full of fire - it’s going to be hot! They drywall behind my stove gets warm for sure - never too hot to touch though! Now that would be a red flag in my mind. I have a Sirocco 30.1, and the box that houses the flapper at the back is hot, if that is helpful for you? Where the fans are, not so much, but I imagine that they are blocking the conductive heat that i would otherwise feel if they weren’t there.

Saying that the back of a wood stove shouldn’t be hot seems counter-intuitive to me. But I’m certainly not an expert. Hope you can enjoy your stove over the holiday season! My kids are home visitng for the holidays and they love the stove. :)

No, didn't write it off at all, that happened almost 5 years ago, still running it and it still takes off after proper cleaning/maintenance. And I wouldn't advise using any tool other than a paint brush or light air or a vinegar solution bath.

I thought you meant it was full of hard black creosote!

Way too short! I have the exact same flue setup but I have 19.5ft outside and can't run it below 3/4 setting without issues. Do you get any creosote smell? It's possible the poor draft is creating strange temperature gradients without enough flow through the stove.

Also, the back of my stove is pretty hot as well. Too hot to touch at medium or above.

Here's what I just discovered, I calculated the flue height the installer gave me to be 14ft 4in. Now that I know is way to short. Mini um at sea level on a straight up flue is 15ft. Not only is it too short I don't think they even allowed for configuration setup.
The install manual that came with the stove is rev 1. I see on the web site BK has rev 2 which explains flue allowances.
I begin to think I need at least another 8ft to be correct according to their rev 2.
The unit does not come with any other fire bricks. None are missing.
If I have to extend the flue height, it will be a groan to sweep.
Your advice/help is invaluable.
Andy.

Attachments

• How to clean glass and can't get low temp on Blaze King
    20181222_125506.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 165
    20181222_125538.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 158
    20181222_125753.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 168
    20181222_125622.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 167

My drywall gets pretty warm as well but never too hot to touch. I see no discoloration or anything. Did you get a temp gun and measure the wall?

I will try your load suggestion next time. I can't smell creosote in the room. I will get a temp gun next week.

I don’t know about the “my stove is too hot to touch” stuff. I mean it’s a metal box full of fire - it’s going to be hot! They drywall behind my stove gets warm for sure - never too hot to touch though! Now that would be a red flag in my mind. I have a Sirocco 30.1, and the box that houses the flapper at the back is hot, if that is helpful for you? Where the fans are, not so much, but I imagine that they are blocking the conductive heat that i would otherwise feel if they weren’t there.

Saying that the back of a wood stove shouldn’t be hot seems counter-intuitive to me. But I’m certainly not an expert. Hope you can enjoy your stove over the holiday season! My kids are home visitng for the holidays and they love the stove. :)

I appreciate your feedback very much. Can you imagine if the cat setting is left on only 3/4 the wall still gets very warm bordering on hot if left for long. You can hold your hand there but my concern is a potential fire.
I definitely can't touch the back of the stove, it really burns your hand.
Thank you and I wish you a wonderful Christmas too:)

Yes I don't like using a scraping tool. I will try your vinegar solution method though.
Thanks so much for the help.

Here's what I just discovered, I calculated the flue height the installer gave me to be 14ft 4in. Now that I know is way to short. Mini um at sea level on a straight up flue is 15ft. Not only is it too short I don't think they even allowed for configuration setup.
The install manual that came with the stove is rev 1. I see on the web site BK has rev 2 which explains flue allowances.
I begin to think I need at least another 8ft to be correct according to their rev 2.
The unit does not come with any other fire bricks. None are missing.
If I have to extend the flue height, it will be a groan to sweep.
Your advice/help is invaluable.
Andy.
I just noticed the height thing as well. Glass looks clean in the pictures there! I think it is okay for the drywall to get a little hot. Remember that hot water systems have radiators touching the wall which probably get in the 100-140 degree range.

I appreciate your feedback very much. Can you imagine if the cat setting is left on only 3/4 the wall still gets very warm bordering on hot if left for long. You can hold your hand there but my concern is a potential fire.
I definitely can't touch the back of the stove, it really burns your hand.
Thank you and I wish you a wonderful Christmas too:)
Hmm, well if it’s enough to concern you then it’s worth checking out. I think it’s responsible to take wood burning seriously in your home. I certainly cant leave my hand on the back of the stove without it getting burnt! But I agree if your drywall is getting so hot you can’t touch it then that’s an issue. When i run my stove wide open stuffed full of jack pine (oh no, not jack pine!) i can get my wall behind the stove pretty warm, but never so hot that it cant be touched. Stove or pipe on the other hand, and i’d be branding myself for sure!

Have you used a thermal imaging device to actually determine the temperatures you’re feeling to know for certain that your stove is running too hot?

Please keep us posted on what you discover.