How often should I replace my stove top thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
The title says, or rather asks, it all. It's a good thermo, not a cheapie. The wife says we should replace it and I know you should always listen to the boss, butI think it's working just fine. We've had no odd behavior based on the temperature reading from the current thermo. So, is it an annual replacement item or should I let it ride until I suspect it may be reading inaccurately? Thanks!

My current STT therm is 5 years old. No plans for changing it in the near future.

When it doesn't work any more.

Reactions: blacktail
Yes, there is no set time. Some are off by a country mile when new. Others just keep on going. I check our SST every year and it's still working well after 40 years. This came with our original VC Resolute. They don't make them anymore which is a shame. It's a good basic stovetop thermometer which we have had on 5 stoves.

Attachments

• How often should I replace my stove top thermometer?
    sandhill.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: Sailrmike
The title says, or rather asks, it all. It's a good thermo, not a cheapie. The wife says we should replace it and I know you should always listen to the boss, butI think it's working just fine. We've had no odd behavior based on the temperature reading from the current thermo. So, is it an annual replacement item or should I let it ride until I suspect it may be reading inaccurately? Thanks!
Once. With a laser thermometer.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
If it's reading fine then no need to replace.