How much is it worth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we bit the bullet and bought a new P68 yesterday. Dang, that's a big bullet! Now we're discussing ways to vent it... any recommendations? We are kicking around the idea of running the pipes straight out the side of the house, but the install manual recommends a 3-5 ft. rise for draft. The sales guy says it's not necessary if you have an outside source for the air intake. Thoughts?
Add the 3 - 5ft rise, follow the instructions in the manual. Install the OAK too.

Always error on the safe side of things.

What CladMaster said.

Used stoves are really only bargains if you are willing and able to do most of your own work. Stoves do seem simple enough but if you don't have at least some technical experience (me:watching and helping my more skillful family members mess around with stuff in garages and basements since 1979, just enough to be dangerous lol) they are probably intimidating. I think OP made a great choice to pass on the used and go new.

I'm willing and stubborn, does that count? ;) I bought the downstairs stove new (and had installed), then bought the upstairs stove used and installed it myself (and worked on it a bit until it finally ran correctly). I'm a little less than handy, have no technical experience (besides reading mechanical drawings at times), some of the issue flat out torqued me for a couple of weeks, but I still managed to bull my way thru it.

However, you were right, it was probably best that the OP bought new for the first one.

Having a new stove is a great way to go if you want to spend the money. Especially for a first time pellet stove owner. You will love that 68. It's a heating beast. You will be using some pellets in the cold though if you keep it overly toasty like we do here.

You can vent that stove straight out the wall if you want. It would make vent cleaning easy and save in pipe and fitting costs also. With what you are likely to spend on the T and additional 3-5 feet of vent pipe you can buy a UPS for surge and back up for proper shut down. There are two UPS units recommended in your manual. Just another option. Your P68 does not require a 3-5 foot rise on venting like other stoves do so it's what will work best for you. I have a riser going on my 68 but my second Harman is going straight out and simple.

Harman offers a wall thimble kit with the OAK and it makes things very easy. It costs $250 bucks though. Dura Vent also makes wall thimbles and has one with an OAK for about $130 I think. Look online because you will likely get better prices there than at a dealer.

If you do go straight out, put it on a UPS - Amazon still has the one that is recommended for Harman's for $78

Got the new P68 yesterday - none in stock here so we had to wait nearly 2 weeks, kinda disappointed in that but whaddya do...
Anyhow, all installed and just in time, we got about 4" of snow last night and temps in the 20s. I'm very disappointed in this stove, it won't keep our living room warm (700 sf). I've tried messing with the settings and reading a bunch on this forum about how to maximize output, but it's not that great, especially for the kind of dough we spent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Right now I have it set feed rate 4, manual ignition, room temp 90 and if I'm not within 5 feet of it I can't feel any heat. Our house is pretty well insulated, we expected to be basted out by this thing. Question about the blower: do you get more heat with a medium setting or high? It seems to cool off the radiant heat if it's n high, just curious.

Thanks in advance for your help.

What kind of flame do you have (small/short, medium, reaching the top of the stove)? Where is your probe located? Have you tried testing to see if the probe is actually directing the stove (place an ice cube on it and stove should ramp up)?

The P68 is more than enough to roast you out and you should have to move away from the stove if you stand in front of it. Something is not sounding correct here. I run mine on Room Temp, 75* on the temp dial, manual igniter, and distribution blower on high.

Set it like that and leave it alone for several hours and check back in with us. I am heating 2 floors and 2,350 SQ FT with mine comfortably with the colder temps outside. Where is your room sensing probe located? It comes out of a small plug on the right rear of the stove about mid way on the hopper.

Many people (myself included) mess with the settings too much at first. Set it and forget it. Let us know what you experience. Which pellet brand are you burning?

@bogieb, flame is fairly tall, not quite touching top. Probe is on the cool stone hearth where the stove sits. I wondered about the probe accuracy and that's why I had it set at 90, to make sure I was pumping as much heat as possible. That begs the question does a larger flame mean considerably more heat?

@bags, that's exactly how I had it set all night. Room wasn't cold but it wasn't warm enough to take off my heavy hoodie either. I just got home from work and have turned the temp to 90 and the room temp to max fan. Put the probe in ice. Fingers crossed! I'm burning Eco flame pellets btw.

Thank you both for your advise and help. Greatly appreciated!

What is your temperature outside? It is currently 25* here and the living room where my P68 resides is 78* (I could easily make it warmer) and the coldest inside area far from the stove is 71*. I just check and have thermometers in these areas. I am in shorts, flip flops, and a T-shirt. Decided to stay home today due to icy roads. I'll leave for the out of town job tomorrow morning instead.

How are your windows and doors? You said your home is well insulated. How many SQ FT are you trying to heat? Need some more details as to what you are trying to do with your P68.

I am unfamiliar with Eco Flame pellets but someone might chime in and comment on them. The reason I asked is because some have had issues with pellets not producing good heat. Not sure if that is the case with your brand though.

My P61A can easily keep my unfinished basement at 80 if I want (except the concrete floor - but even that is comfortable in bare feet), so the p68 shouldn't have a problem with your living room

You should be able to keep the fan at max - at low, a lot of heat will go out the exhaust.

Do you have an OAK or is it using inside air to feet the stove? If you don't have an Outside Air Kit hooked up, it can create eddies and pull air any way it can which will keep it cool (or feeling so with a "wind chill") in the house.

What materials are in your living room? If there is a lot of stone or other such materials, it may take a while to warm those up (my basement takes a couple of days). Also, if you are turning down the temp while away, then turning it back up at night, I don't think you will be happy with the temp as it needs to heat the surroundings (sheetrock, furniture etc) before you will really feel the room is warm.

Outside temp yesterday was 25 here too. Got down to 17 overnight and is now 35. it's more about cu ft than sq ft, as our living room where the 68 is has a vaulted ceiling up to a loft type balcony. 8000 cu ft maybe. BUT it's not warm up there either. With our prev wood stove you could hardly breathe on the balcony it was so hot. Its been running full bore for about an hour and I can hold my hand within 5 inches of the fan output ports with them on high.

Eco flame is a local company, made of beetle kill pine. The pellets have a btu of 8450, no idea what that means! ☺

[
Its been running full bore for about an hour and I can hold my hand within 5 inches of the fan output ports with them on high.

Well, I can put my hand there on my P61A, just can't keep it there for long if burning at a medium-high flame. If you are able to keep your hand there, then either there is something up with the workings of the stove, or your pellets don't burn hot enough. can you get another type of pellet to try out? a cfrappy pellet won't produce a ton of heat regardless of the stove it is in.

If it isn't the pellets, then there are others on the forum that would be much better at troubleshooting issues with you. However, being tagged onto the end of a pellet stove worth thread, they may not see your problem. Can you start a new thread so it attracts the attention of Harman experts that would be more help than I can be (Bags is helpful, but I believe he is working right now so may not be as attentive as you could wish for). If you do start a new thread, put in the type of stove and that it is a heating issue in the title.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.