How Much Have You Burned? Dec Edition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
2.5 to 3 cords. Started burning October 1st.
Mainly poor to mediocre species of wood, boxelder and quaking aspen make up 2/3rds burned, the other third mostly cherry with a bit of ash

1 cord. Sole heat source, Furnace not in use Our temps have been above average but the stove has been running 24/7 for Dec. I have not burnt many full loads and when i have its overheated the 6200 sqft house. The month of November was small fires and never a full firebox. Have the oak lined up for this Christmas storm and coldest weather yet of the season.

Reactions: mpaul
Going to guess about 1/3 cord maybe a bit more. Trying to husband the resources until it gets really cold in Jan and Feb. First year burning and I am going to short on low MC wood.

Just over a cord. Been burning since September. Wood (our Princess) is our main source of heat, 4 cords left to get us through until mid April/early May. 2 cords split/stacked to get us started next year

Reactions: dafattkidd
Probably about a cord or a bit more. Pretty much 24/7 since early October. Some fires in September too.

1 cord. Sole heat source, Furnace not in use Our temps have been above average but the stove has been running 24/7 for Dec. I have not burnt many full loads and when i have its overheated the 6200 sqft house. The month of November was small fires and never a full firebox. Have the oak lined up for this Christmas storm and coldest weather yet of the season.
6200 sq ft on 1 cord burning 24/7? Your house must be made of insulation. That is a gigantic house.

6200 sq ft on 1 cord burning 24/7? Your house must be made of insulation. That is a gigantic house.
The insulation and fp30 work well together. Around 5 cord generally get me thru the year without use of the furnace. This home is cheaper to live in than our 2200 sqft subdivision house that was on natural gas. This home is R30 walls above grade with R60 attic and R24 baeement walls as well as being extremely well air sealed It has a large amount of windows but the stove can keep up to them. IIRC the heat loss calculations called for slightly less than a 60,000 btu furnace..I don't remember what size the a/c is, as 5 years ago the focus was on SEER..

The insulation and fp30 work well together. Around 5 cord generally get me thru the year without use of the furnace. This home is cheaper to live in than our 2200 sqft subdivision house that was on natural gas. This home is R30 walls above grade with R60 attic and R24 baeement walls as well as being extremely well air sealed It has a large amount of windows but the stove can keep up to them. IIRC the heat loss calculations called for slightly less than a 60,000 btu furnace..I don't remember what size the a/c is, as 5 years ago the focus was on SEER..
So I was right, the house is made of insulation 😉

I measured the bin were using yesterday.. As.of Christmas .. today.. we are 1.22 cords burned.. Ill probably go through 3.5 cords to heat my home this year.. just a guess.. were ripping through wood right now with us being home for the holidays and this cold snap..

I’d say about a half cord. Heat has rarely been on except the last few days to keep the heating (baseboard) pipes from freezing in this extreme cold. I have allowed it to kick on at about 2am the last two nights just to be safe to keep hot water moving through them

I’d say about a half cord. Heat has rarely been on except the last few days to keep the heating (baseboard) pipes from freezing in this extreme cold. I have allowed it to kick on at about 2am the last two nights just to be safe to keep hot water moving through them

I did the same.. I turned on the farthest zones that are away from the stove.. Im not worried about the 5 dollars worth of oil

My heating water lines have anti freeze in them. Makes it a lot less efficient, but takes a lot of the worry out when heating solely with wood.

Reactions: Gearhead660
My heating water lines have anti freeze in them. Makes it a lot less efficient, but takes a lot of the worry out when heating solely with wood.

I was thinking of that.. I decided, Im not putting any money in my heating system.. This is the first time I ran it in like 3 years. If something breaks, that's a different story.. Ill do maintenance to it if needed

I was thinking of that.. I decided, Im not putting any money in my heating system.. This is the first time I ran it in like 3 years. If something breaks, that's a different story.. Ill do maintenance to it if needed
I bought this house about 4 years ago. The previous owner travelled a lot and subsequently was never here. He put the antifreeze in the system as a preventative measure. I’m continuing to benefit from it.

Reactions: all night moe
Did the same with mine after I found some lines froze when I needed to run the boiler. Now no worrying.

So far a little over one half cord. Consumption picked up a bit with this multi-day power outage.