How Many Cord Have You Got For Next Year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No shortage here. I have access to an estimated 620 million cubic meters (171,055,416 Cords) of (pine beetle kill) Pine that's out there seasoning as we speak, all I gota do is get out there and buck it up and bring it home and split and stack enough for next winter in my wood shed.

5 cord for next, 4.5 left for this. all run about 80% red oak.

I have 5 years worth. I burn 5 cords a year. 25 cords on hand. It took me 4 years to get to this point. I now have a wood shed. It gets better every year.

I have about 10 cords on hand now, I just started trying to get ahead earlier this year. I figure 2 more will burn this year and three for next year and so on. 2.5 cords of it is red oak just cut last week. I am still scrounging, and a bunch of standing dead in the woods out back.

Stacks:
Species Width Height Length Cord

varies 44 52 276 2.86
varies 44 216 0 0.00
varies 44 216 0 0.00
hedge 44 36 120 0.86
elm 44 44 96 0.84
locust 44 48 36 0.34
varies 44 120 0 0.00
needs split 120 36 100 1.95

Total 6.85 Cords

I just did a little estimating last week so the numbers are fresh in my head. My best guess would be about 7 cords, but three of those cords are still laying in branch/log or round form in the yard. The bottoms of those piles may not see action until spring due to all the wet snow we recieved as a christmas present. I am always looking for convenient places to store it. Lots of places to store it, but not so many that are close to the sawing/splitting area, out of the way, where it will dry good, and easy to get to in the winter. I'm still in the learning process of drying locations and how much we use per year (second year burning). I hope to have some leftover from this year, but I'm not going to spare it if it is dry and the house is getting cold.

I have approx 4 cords split for this year and approx 4 more cut into rounds waiting to be split, also have eight trees that are dead and need to be cut down and bucked up.

EKLawton said:
5 cord for next, 4.5 left for this. all run about 80% red oak.

I'm in line with this but only 2 1/2 left for this year (I only figure to burn 3 a year). I'm about 80% red oak and the rest is elm.

About 22 face cords. About 75% of it is Oak and Hickory. Rest is Maple and Ash...I'm hoping I'm set for 3 years.

westkywood said:
About 22 face cords. About 75% of it is Oak and Hickory. Rest is Maple and Ash...I'm hoping I'm set for 3 years.

So is that 11 full cords or 7 1/3 full cords? I hear a "face cord" is either 4'x8'x16" or 4'x8'x24". (Too crazy for me.)

I have four 8 ft diameter by about 6 1/2 foot tall Holz Hausens stacked up. I think that is 8 cords or so. Another 2 or 3 cords are waiting to become the next holz hausen or two. I haven't yet installed a wood stove, so unless I get several home improvements done a lot faster than I expect to, it all will probably be for next year and years after. I may try to cut a few Red Maples at a friend's house this week instead of work on those home improvements.

Spikem said:
westkywood said:

So is that 11 full cords or 7 1/3 full cords? I hear a "face cord" is either 4'x8'x16" or 4'x8'x24". (Too crazy for me.)

I have about 175ft row, 4-5 feet high, cut between 14 and 22" lengths. 175ft divided by 8 ft would be roughly 22 face cords........I believe a face cord is the same as a rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.