How far from the house do you store your wood and why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2023
Cady, WI
Heard lots of opinions on this, some folks like to keep it far away for fear of rodents, bugs, snakes and mess. Personally, my main stacks are on a south facing hill about 150 yards from the house. I haul about 10 days worth to the porch with my 4 wheeler and a wagon so I like the peace of mind of keeping stuff a ways from the house.
How far from the house do you store your wood and why?

My closest stack I can see from my back porch so it's 100 ft. or so away my other stacks are much further away. Plenty of bugs and snakes and other critters much closer to the house during the warm months. Wood doesn't come up to house until burning season and a wagon load at a time.

Here in NJ the general suggestion is 10 ft or more from the house.

My wood is dried in the loft of my drive ahead and has been for 45 years with no bug damage
In October 4 to 5 cord is moved to my basement this year is year 46 no bugs or damage may be just dumb luck
Or maybe things and bugs are different in Eastern Ontario

My wood is dried in the loft of my drive ahead and has been for 45 years with no bug damage
In October 4 to 5 cord is moved to my basement this year is year 46 no bugs or damage may be just dumb luck
Or maybe things and bugs are different in Eastern Ontario
I have heard enough people with your story to think the risk is not excessive and that the only really risky thing is lots of uncovered wet wood leaning right against the house. If I had to I would do it your way and just keep an eye on things but we are lucky to have some acreage.

Reactions: stoveliker
As far as needed to make you not worry about bugs and sleep well ...

Reactions: johneh
My guess and observations over 10 or so yrs of burning is that the true risk from bugs is minimal. Not zero but less than one would figure. That said, best to keep the wood outdoors (under cover) until needed.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
The real problem is stacking next to wood siding. It will speed rotting the siding and sill plates by keeping them damp all the time.

both rotting the wall and the firewood (b/c less airflow)!

My house and garage are concrete block construction from the 1970s. I stack wood on concrete blocks and old 2x4s on the south wall of the garage, and on pallets about 100’ from the house. My solar kiln is right off the back porch, but that spot will be the garden next summer after the wood gets used. The previous owner used to load a couple of cords though a coal chute into the basement each fall and never had a bug issue.

My parents keep wood 200 yards from the house in trailers made from old truck beds with caps on them. They pull them up to the porch in the winter.

I’m of the opinion that bug risk isn’t that great, especially with wood that’s only a few years old and is dry. I discard bug filled wood away from the house as I’m splitting,

Reactions: bigealta and johneh
Heard lots of opinions on this, some folks like to keep it far away for fear of rodents, bugs, snakes and mess. Personally, my main stacks are on a south facing hill about 150 yards from the house. I haul about 10 days worth to the porch with my 4 wheeler and a wagon so I like the peace of mind of keeping stuff a ways from the house.
View attachment 328392
10 cord 40ft from the back door (stacked next to 5 ton of pellets).
It’s cold here.
I have cats

I got like 4 different stacks 1 in my mudroom with open windows 1 on my concrete front porch those 2 are my closest 2 1 in a seperate rpom in my garage and the other in my garage about 65 ft away at most and the reason why i do it that way is cause 1 im a lil lazy and dont feel like walkin that far in the winter to get wood 2 imma bit broke off in my spine which kinda makes me revert back to my first reason and lastly kinda just makes sense to me to do things this way

Not real far, though it's actually about as far as I can get from the house and still be in my yard.

Ours is stacked on the driveway, about 20 feet from the garage. It's on four x fours, pressure treated. I've never had any problems. Used to have a few in the bottom layer when it rested on the driveway, but never in the stacks. It's in the sun and wind.

My termite guy says no problem. It's all hardwood. Other bugs and carpenter ants I can watch for. If we get a piece of hickory that has some carpenter ants in the middle, I set it out by itself on the driveway in the sun. The birds eat the ants.

firewooddrivetotal2023.jpg

firewooddriveway2023.jpg